Canadian Pop Lyrics Lazy, Forgettable

Kate Ginley, Opinion Editor

Want your ears to bleed? Then listen to Alessia Cara’s Four Pink Walls album! The Canadian singer breaks the Canadian stereotype of kindness with her monstrosity.

For a torture similar to listening to Justin Bieber, start with “Here.” Talking about marijuana, gossipers, and pitiful exes, the song is perfect for ruining any day.

Her next song, titled “Seventeen” is about the dream of being a teenager and wanting to freeze time. Obviously, she never went to high school. Freeze time? No way! I’m not going to be stuck like Edward Cullen in the unpleasant phase between adolescence and adulthood. School is enough stress; I don’t need to be trapped in puberty forever. Cara tries to convey the love her mother provided for her when she was young, which will be stripped away when she becomes an official adult. Though sentimental, Cara’s lyrics are more than a bit overly dramatic.

After going through a bad breakup, Cara claims she is ready for new love in her song “I’m Yours.” Cara states she is mad at for her crush being so cute and that she gets sick because he is so perfect. Good. Keep it up, bro; maybe you’ll get her to quit her music career and save the rest of the world from her repetitive songs.

The music video for the titular song was filmed in her room. Lazy? You could say that. For the whole video, Cara sits on the floor of her bedroom, looking like a 13 year old girl, trying to look cool on YouTube by lip-syncing. I’ll admit, this song has a catchier beat and is probably the only song on her entire album that I might actually purchase. Cara talks about how there is a whole other universe outside your bedroom walls, so why stay inside forever when there is so much to explore? However, this positive message does little to save the song’s monotony.

The thing that Cara doesn’t understand is that the world wants something original and fresh. Her songs are cliche.

Cara has the potential to be great, but she is currently headed into the black hole where the remains of artists like the Jonas Brothers and Justin Bieber lay, soon to be forgotten.