The Unsung Female Heroes of Campolindo

In honor of the end of March and Women’s History Month, it is important to highlight Campolindo’s female staff who may go unnoticed on a day-to-day basis. While our teachers are crucial to the success of our community, many other jobs on campus are the backbone of our school and tend to work behind the scenes.

Robyn Harrison: Associate Principal
Associate Principal Robyn Harrison has learned to love Campolindo within her first year. She recalled, “One of my most favorite parts of Campo is the community. We have such great teachers and staff and our students are amazing.”

Harrison works throughout the week meeting with students and making them feel as comfortable as possible. She learned this from her female role model, her grandma. Harrison explained her grandmother’s background saying, “She was born in the Philippines and had 9 children and was a seamstress. She was able to take care of all of those kids by herself and make money by sewing. And she sent several of those kids off to college.” Harrison aspires to bring the hard work into Campo that her grandmother taught her.

In the admin office, Harrison brings a welcoming aura everywhere she goes. This was also learned from her grandmother: “She had the biggest heart and always wanted the best for everyone she ran into. She always wanted to take care of everyone and she is a huge inspiration to me because of her grit being tied with a soft heart.”

Her success at Campo did not come easy. Harrison described the difficulties she faced while being a woman in a leadership position “I think for a lot of females it’s the question of can I do it?… And as much as you say yes, that question always lingers but as you overcome those challenges there is a strength that comes from that.” This doubt has motivated Harrison to continue pushing herself and proving her concerns wrong.

The Assistant Principal had one major piece of advice for female students on campus: “I would say own who you are. Everyone is going to be different, everyone is going to have something special about them. It’s really tapping into what is unique about you and celebrating that.” Harrison believes that everyone’s individuality is what makes Campo different from other schools. With Harrison’s caring nature, students feel more supported at school and feel at ease when they enter the associate principal’s office.

Liana McCann: Wellness Intake Specialist
In the B-hall of the school, Liana McCann can be found assisting students in the Wellness Center. In her five years at Campo, she has made substantial changes that make Campo a better place. McCann genuinely enjoys her job and her face lit up while describing her favorite part of her job: “I love connecting with my students. Just getting to meet students and help them through whatever is going on, mental health stuff, stress, anxiety, etc.”

In McCann’s life, she looks up most to her older sister. McCann described her saying, “She teaches first grade and is the most selfless person I know. She is just such a caretaker for all the people in her life and is such an amazing teacher who puts everything into her work.”

Many of these qualities McCann described in her sister can also be seen in her. She spends every day taking care of the students on campus, whether it’s listening, spreading awareness, or putting on wellness fairs that engage students.
Even with her positive attitude, McCann has faced multiple hindrances in her career due to her age and gender, like “being underestimated in many different ways, mostly by men but also people in different areas in life thinking I’m less experienced or not as capable of doing things. And that is something I think so many women face on a daily basis which is frustrating.”

Furthermore, McCann wants to decrease this feeling of doubt and uncertainty that many women and young girls feel. She believes empowerment and confidence create strong females who feel comfortable speaking their minds. McCann hopes to encourage the women on campus saying, “Embrace your power and don’t be afraid to speak up and speak your mind. Always trust your gut and don’t let others tell you who to be or what to do.”

Her next piece of guidance to female students offered reassurance about life after high school and other changes throughout life: “High school can feel so small and my advice would be to look forward to the transitions. Transitions can be so hard but sometimes the best part of life is moving out because the world is much bigger than Campo. High school is just a blip in your life and there is so much to look forward to.” McCann’s words of wisdom and positivity are inspiring to everyone in the community and Campo would not be the same without it.

Iris Peña: Food Service Lead
While this is her third year at Campo, food service lead Iris Peña’s hard work may go unnoticed every brunch and lunch. But, she still enjoys being at Campo and greeting students every day while they pick up their meals and snacks. When asked what her favorite part of working at Campo was, Peña joked “I like some of the kids… Just kidding, It’s pretty chill, and the kitchen’s fun, and I like giving everyone free stuff.”

Peña’s laugh and jokes are contagious throughout the kitchen and cafeteria, making the long lines during breaks bearable and even entertaining. With her in the kitchen, lunches and brunches run smoothly and she gets students through the lines quickly so they are able to enjoy the rest of their breaks.

However, a good work ethic is not the only thing Peña gained from working in the cafeteria. She also met a tight-knit team that helps each other inside and outside of work. Peña commented on this saying, “Jen (Jennifer Rogers) is my female role model. She’s my coworker here and like my work mom. She is super kind and everything she does is with grace.”

Peña has stayed optimistic even when she faces the difficulties of being a woman. When asked what has been the hardest part of being a woman in life, Peña said, “I think people thinking that I can’t do something that I am very capable of or speaking for me.”

Finally, Peña offered life lessons that she has learned herself: “My advice to teenage girls on campus is to be responsible and be kind to everyone as well as being kind to yourself.” This is an extremely important message that could not only strengthen relationships but also help female students with their mental health and confidence in themselves.

These women on campus can be seen as role models to everyone in Lamorinda. They use their knowledge, empathy, and skills to help Campo run successfully and put in hard work to make sure students feel welcome while at school. Without these crucial staff members, Campo would not be the school it is today.