The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Campo Students Partake in Annual Girl Scout Cookie Sales

Beatrice Johnson
Campolindo students help with the annual sails of girl scout cookies!

The long-standing tradition of selling Girl Scout cookies has come and gone yet again. Going from February 4 to March 17, the Girl Scouts were prepared for yet another year of selling, many of which go to our very own school.

A common trend among young Girl Scouts is having parents sell cookies at work to get more business. Teachers and parents Paul and Stephanie Verbanszky have done just this. Since the start of the cookie-selling season, both have put up QR codes in their classrooms for students to scan and pay or students can pay in cash directly. Both Verbanszkys have kept their classrooms stocked with cookies, replenishing specific types when they start to run low.

While Girl Scouts are typically pictured as younger girls, many students from Campo have remained Girl Scouts and still sell cookies now. Sophomore Liv Maestre said, “It’s difficult…nobody wants to buy from you, they want to buy from little kids.” Maestre’s biggest competition this year is “younger kids and the Verbanszky’s daughters.”

Despite the struggles of younger competition, there are benefits of being an older Girl Scout. Older sellers have access to more resources, such as cars to drive around or a bigger school to sell at. “You get a lot [of business] at school,” said Maestre.

While little kids present selling challenges, Girl Scouts at Campo have continued to sell for years. Maestre has “been selling them since [she] was about five.” Junior Girl Scout Giorgia Stankus said, “I think we had the cuteness factor so it really helped us get more profits.”

Many students enjoy having cookies readily available on campus. Sophomore Isla Fitzmaurice said, “I think that it is a great idea to have Girl Scout cookies sold on campus…us teens are old enough to have our own money.”

One main goal and reason to continue selling cookies is to achieve the “Gold Award,” or highest ranking award a Girl Scout can achieve. “I enjoyed [Girl Scouts] up until middle school,” said Maestre. “I kept doing it for the Gold Award because it really helps with college admissions.”

Regardless of the reason for being a Girl Scout, teens have continued to sell these delicious treats, providing joy to all who buy them while supporting the Girl Scouts of America.