The LAFSD District Handles Recent Protest Outside Elementary School

Claire Riedel
Chaos surrounding protests outside of Lafayette Elementary school frighten young children.

In the Lamorinda community, daily protests against transgender rhetoric and children transitioning genders before puberty have been occurring in front of the Lafayette Elementary School. Lisa Disbrow leads the demonstration and is often seen with signs with quotes like “No one is Born in the Wrong Body.” The Lafayette Superintendent Brent Stephens has shown his support for the transgender community and is working with the district to find ways to deal with these potentially harmful protests.

Disbrow is not afraid to show her opinions in the Lamorinda community and expressed that the negative and threatening comments she receives do not bring her down because she also receives a lot of support. Disbrow spoke about how children who may be thinking about transitioning need to get their parents involved. She stated, “Those struggling with gender distress need accurate, medically sound, biologically grounded information along with unbiased, non-activist based therapy that compassionately helps both the minor and the family unravel the conflicts, the issues, and other factors causing their suffering.”

Even though Disbrow has very passionate beliefs and is not scared to protest about them, Stephens shared how the district is handling this protesting. Stephens stated, “The District was proud to pass a resolution to observe Transgender Day of Visibility, and we’re proud of our work to welcome every child, family, and staff member into our community of learners.”

Disbrow also shared her thoughts on the resolution for the Transgender Day of Visibility. She stated, “LAFSD students are 4-13 years old, vulnerable and easily manipulated by school authorities when district staff advocate any ideology, social theory in contradiction of the parents beliefs and without the explicit knowledge and consent of their parents. The transgender resolution supports gender affirmation theory based on students self-identification and unlimited gender identities versus biology.”

Stephens stated, “We have been respectful of the First Amendment rights that allow the signs on a public sidewalk, but it saddens us greatly that the people holding these signs seem to place their own beliefs above any concern for the wellbeing of the real-life children, parents, and staff in our school community.” Stephens’ thoughts show that it is very disheartening to not only the children and parents driving by to go to school, but also people that are a part of the LGBTQ+ community.

While Disbrow may want everyone driving by to agree with her opinions, she mentioned how the rainbow flag waving group covered up her signs and that she wants to put out there that, like her sign that says, “Truth is NOT TRANSPHOBIC.”

Stephens stated how the district is looking out for the LGBTQ+ community. He stated, “I have had conversations with the individuals holding the signs, and hope to have more in the future, but the District’s commitment to the LGBTQ+ community is unwavering.”

Stephens said he is very committed to make everyone feel welcomed and Disbrow is very committed to show how “no one is born in the wrong body,” and both are trying their hardest to show “the truth.”

View Comments (5)
$425
$1000