The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

College and Career Makes Shift from Naviance to Maia Learning

Campo’s College and Career Center recently made the switch away from Naviance to a new college admissions site, Maia Learning. Academy sessions were hosted for juniors to attend on April 26, May 1, and May 8, and an academy for freshmen and sophomores on May 15.

“Overall as a district, we’re having a lot of issues,” said College and Career counselor Joan Batcheller. Many issues are surrounding “letters of recommendation” and “teachers being notified.” In addition, “we no longer have a customer service person. Logistically, there were a lot of issues, and with this new system there’s a lot more support,” she said.

While this has been a big shift for college planning, it wasn’t a very public switch. Many students haven’t heard any information about the switch, despite mention in the Weekly Roundup and Campo Newsletter sent to parents. Freshman Nora Lawrence said, “I’ve heard that we’re switching over to Maia [Learning] from Naviance…but just that.”

Contrastingly, some students, mainly juniors, have heard about the change, which can be most attributed to the academy sessions previously held. Junior Meeran Gill said, “I went to the academy, and they taught us how to use it…they taught us how to log in, how to search for colleges, and look at the stats to compare yourselves to others.”

Many students, however, haven’t seen many effects of the change, or don’t realize what will happen. This is because many students don’t use Naviance often. Sophomore Ella Harris said, “I use [Naviance] probably three times in a year…I’ve gone to [Batcheller’s] academies occasionally and used [Naviance]”

Despite the quiet change, hopefully the year will go smoothly as Campo transitions into Maia Learning for the coming future.