What Type Of Person Do You Need To Be to Win Assassins

Senior+Katie+Feldman+hides+under+a+car+in+an+attempt+to+squirt+her+targets+early+in+the+morning.+
Daisy Penney
Senior Katie Feldman hides under a car in an attempt to squirt her targets early in the morning.

Is someone hiding in your neighbor’s backyard? Running down the street or sprinting to their car holding a water gun? More than likely, that would be the average day during the seniors’ game of Assassins. But what does it take to excel in such a high-stakes, high-pressure environment?

To win at Assassins, you need more than just a quick trigger finger and a keen eye. It’s a game of strategy, adaptability, and nerves of steel. Those who emerge victorious aren’t just lucky; they possess a unique blend of skills and qualities that set them apart from the rest.

First and foremost, successful Assassins players are masters of anticipation. They should be willing to wait for hours outside of their target’s houses in order to secure the kill. Senior Kye Wesselmen is part of a team who is willing to do just that. He explained, “we go there in the morning and we split into two groups and then find our peoples houses and look to see if their cars are home.” A losing team could easily execute this part of the plan but what sets apart the women and men from the boys and girls is how long they are willing to wait. Wesselmen says that, “we’ve waited for multiple hours outside of peoples houses.”

Not only are winners patient, they also understand that danger lurks around every corner and are constantly vigilant, never letting their guard down. Whether they’re in class, at lunch, or even at home, they’re always on the lookout for potential threats. Senior Annie Cooper warns people to, “always…ALWAYS be ready and always be expecting someone to pop out of a bush or be waiting at your house.”

But vigilance alone isn’t enough. To outsmart their opponents, Assassins players must also be strategic in their approach. This means forming alliances, coordinating with teammates, and devising clever tactics to outmaneuver the competition. As Senior Aditya Kapur put it, “Our strategy has been to work with the team two groups away from us so that the group we are targeting is where the team that they are hunting is.” Collaboration and communication are key, as players must rely on each other to stay one step ahead.

Your choice in teammates plays a critical role in this point of the process and many teams seem to fall apart due to clashing personalities in their team. You need people who are willing to go the distance as well as willing to make compromises that put them in difficult situations. Senior Paulo Trento explained how, “we came to a decision as a team to strike a deal with the people who were trying to get us and the people we were trying to get out… I’m glad everyone on my team was on the same page with it.” If Trento’s team didn’t have the sought after agreement among members then there was no way they would have made it to coveted round number two.

Of course, no amount of strategy can guarantee victory if you don’t have the nerve to execute your plans. Assassins is as much a test of mental fortitude as it is of physical skill. Players must be able to handle the intense pressure and adrenaline rush that comes with being constantly under threat of elimination. Cooper confessed, “I think it’s super stressful and a lot more involved than I thought it would be.” Wesslmen on the other had viewed the game in a different light: “I think it’s a lot of fun. It’s a challenge, but it’s a fun challenge, I don’t think anyone in my group has been stressed out.” Balancing the fun and stress are important factors that could lead to a team’s success or failure.

But perhaps the most important quality of all is persistence. In a game where one wrong move can mean instant elimination, resilience is essential. Successful assassins players never give up, even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds. They keep pushing forward, determined to outlast their rivals and claim victory. Wesselmen is determined to be one of the few who succeed in this game, extremely confident in saying, “we’re going to win… we have a great team and we only need one more kill to move on to the third round.”

In the thrilling game of Assassins, victory isn’t just about skill; it’s about mastering the art of stealth and deception. Players must stay vigilant, constantly assessing their surroundings and anticipating their opponents’ moves. Every decision is crucial, from choosing the right moment to strike to formulating elaborate plans to outwit adversaries. But amidst the chaos, it’s the unwavering persistence that separates champions from the rest, driving them to adapt, overcome obstacles, and ultimately claim the title of victor. So, when the water guns are raised high in triumph, they symbolize not just a moment of glory, but the culmination of strategy, nerve, and sheer determination.