Twists, False Leads Cloud Identity of “A”

Sarah Orders, Sports Editor

The villain “A” will finally find be revealed on ABC Family’s hit series Pretty Little Liars on Tuesday, March 19th. I have been anticipating the revelation of this unknown character for  two seasons filled with many plot twists and new situations that I never saw coming. I have been an avid watcher of Pretty Little Liars, or PLL, since it premiered on June 8, 2010 and have seen every episode. The show is filled with typical high school drama, but for the four main characters–Aria, Spencer, Emily and Hanna–this drama has been taken to a new level.

Much has happened over the past two seasons. Hanna, Spencer, Aria and Emily were all friends with a girl named Alison, who disappeared one summer night. Three years later her body was found and the girls became friends again when they started to get text messages from an anonymous “A.” Since Allison’s funeral, the four girls have been trying to figure out who “A,” someone who knows secrets about them that only Ali knew, is. “A” has blackmailed them into doing things they do not want to do, but they cannot go to the police since the police are already suspicious that they were involved in Alison’s murder, even though it is just “A” framing them.

I have become emotionally attached to this show, as have others. Freshman Allison Tsuboi has been anticipating the unveiling of “A” for a while. Tsuboi has read the books and is curious if the character will be the same in both storylines. Tsuboi said, “I am wondering if “A” will be the same as in the books or if it will be somewhat different. I am counting down the days to March 19th. I watch it every Monday when it comes out and look forward all week to each new episode. This show is very entertaining and leaves me guessing after each episode, which I really like.”

My guesses about the identity of “A” have definitely changed as the seasons have gone on. At first, as a PLL newcomer, I thought Alison never actually died and somehow it was someone else’s body that was found. According to the books, this is not too far off, but not completely correct. After this I thought it was Lucas, a yearbook editor and close friend of Hanna, because he was always around with bad things happened and also did not like Alison or her posse very much. Lucas even admitted to smashing Alison’s memorial which made him even more suspicious and he was always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

After these two guesses my ideas changed often and then refocused on Jenna, Garret and Melissa. Jenna was tormented by Ali and her friends so badly the summer Alison disappeared that they even threw fireworks in her garage and accidentally blinded her. Garret was Jenna’s boyfriend and is also a police officer who constantly tries to get Aria, Spencer, Emily and Hanna into trouble. Melissa is Spencer’s older sister, but was involved with a sketchy crowd when she was younger, and Alison tried to steal her boyfriend, so she has motive. But recently Jenna has been involved in another accident and she is seeming less like “A.”

In the past two episodes, my guess for “A” has been changed to Mona. Mona was tormented by Alison,  but is now best friends with Hanna, but she could be faking this friendship just to get back at the girls. Mona has been around the girls more and now she has also been receiving texts from “A” which seems a little suspicious to me. So going into the episode on March 19th, my money is on Mona, but with all the plot twists that happen during this show, I am never really certain.

I am a little cautious though, as I do not want to get my hopes up too high about this “reveal” and then be disappointed if the reveal doesn’t happen. So I’m really really hoping “A” is at last revealed when I tune into ABC Family on the 19th. But I guess we won’t know until then.