Concert Addresses Teen Suicide

Emma Torres, Staff Writer

The final choir concert of the year recognized departing seniors on May 17 at the Lesher Theatre in Walnut Creek.  The event also confronted the topic of teen suicide.

Suicide prevention was the focus of the program, as various people spoke about their own struggles and how talking to someone saved their life. “It really put out a message to us that we’re able to ask for help,” said freshman Cassie Charlton, “I think that was really the most important part of the concert.”

The students sang a song called “Stomp On Fire,” written about a volunteer in the choir community who took his own life. The evening’s theme was also inspired by the recent student suicide at San Ramon Valley High School. According to freshman Lauren Brewer, it was a “powerful performance.”

“The stomping, and the fire, and the hissing sounds really told a story on what he was going through,” said Charlton.

“I thought it went great,” said choir teacher Mark Roberts. “I was really pleased with all of the groups, everyone sang well, the audience seemed very appreciative.”

During a ceremony at the end of the event, each senior was escorted on stage by his or her parents as their future plans were announced.  Each received a gift, then posed for a picture with Roberts.

“It really gave the freshmen something to look forward to,” said Brewer. “We all thought it was really cool.”

Senior Kathryn Daniel, who received a special musical theater award, said the concert was very “nostalgic” for her and the other seniors. “It was very strange to be on stage and look out and think ‘wow,’ this is the last time I’m going to do this,” she said.

The concert ended with all choir groups performing “Seize the Day.”

“It’s funny how as an underclassman you don’t really like it that much, but once you’re a senior it’s a really fun experience and a really good way to send everyone off,” said Daniel.