Air Quality Concerns Delay Homecoming Dance

Jessica Rosiak, Staff Writer

The annual homecoming dance was delayed by one week due to air quality concerns related to the recent North Bay fires.

The dance had been scheduled for October 14, following the homecoming game against Miramonte High School. However, from October 11 through 15, the Acalanes district cancelled all physical activities, including the homecoming dance.

Although some students were upset about the rescheduling, others responded more positively. “We should . . . realize that a lot of worse things are happening a few miles away up north,” said Freshmn Leila Stoll. “It is a bit of a disappointment . . . [but] it‘s also important to put everything into perspective and realize that it is not the worse thing that could happen.”

After the cancellation, Leadership decided to move the dance to the following week. “We really wanted to make it work for this Saturday, so we could have this momentum going from homecoming week,” said senior ASB Vice President Cassandra Nguyen.

Homecoming week had included a slew of activities and dress-up days which complemented the Disneyland theme. “Everyone was pretty sold on the idea [of Disneyland] because there are so many parts [to it],” said senior Spirit Commissioner James Finegold.

Fortunately, leadership was able to transfer the original arrangements for details like a DJ and snacks to the new dance date.

“We understand the circumstances,” said Ngyuen. “[We] made the best with what we got.”