Ceremony Recognizes Top Underclassmen

Vaughn Luthringer, Staff Writer

The Campolindo library hosted the Underclassmen Awards, an awards ceremony for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors on May 11.

At the event, students selected by their teachers received awards in various subjects: Administration (Leadership), English, Mathematics, Physical Education/Health, Science, Social Studies, Technical Education, Visual and Performing Arts, and World Language.

“Teachers get to pick only one student out of the entire student body that they’re teaching,” explained mathematics teacher Nita Madra, who helped organize the event. “It’s for encouraging students and recognizing them for working hard and going the extra mile they can,” she said. “It’s not based on just the highest grade, teachers can nominate students for someone who has improved the most, who has worked really hard.”

“I guess it’s nice for your hard work to be acknowledged,” explained freshman Maddie House, who received the English 1 award. “I didn’t think they were going to tell us who gave you the award or what subject it was from,” she said. “I guess if I had thought about it, I would have presumed History or English.”

“I think because we do a lot of different projects is the reason I like it [English],” House said. “We write and we read, and I like analyzing things. Looking deeper into a story, or when I figure something out about it, the deeper meaning, I feel rewarded from that.”

Junior Hannah Eberhardt, who received the award for Advanced Art and Independent Portfolio, has an interesting story when it comes to art. “I didn’t actually take art freshmen year, but I took Art 2 last year, so I’m trying to make up for lost time,” she said. “I’m in Independent Portfolio and Advanced Art Honors.” Eberhardt’s artwork appeared on the cover of the program for the awards ceremony.

Eberhardt intends to take her dedication for art far. “It’s just my passion, I really enjoy doing it, I want to go to art school eventually,” she explained. In the future, she hopes to work at Disney, where she can utilize her art ability. She describes her style as “Disney-esque,” and is inspired by the work of Disney artists.

Madra explained that “it means a lot for students to be recognized by their teachers.”