Doughnut Sale Funds Wish Fulfillment

Genie Lee, Editor

Krispy Kreme doughnuts were sold after school on March 10 to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area Foundation, which grants wishes for children with life-threatening medical conditions. A total of $152 was raised by the Make-A-Wish club.

Make-A-Wish club president Audrey Price has been raising donations for this non-profit organization, which has been fulfilling the wishes of children from ages 2 to 18 since 1984. Price has worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation as a volunteer at various events.

Price got the idea to sell doughnuts from the Make-A-Wish Foundation webpage. “This was my first time doing it. I was looking for new ways to make money, and they have a fundraising information page on their website,” Price explained.

“Make-A-Wish is looking for any way to get money. I thought it would be a fun way to earn money with the kids from school buying Krispy Kreme doughnuts,” Price added.

Price and a couple of her friends set up the sale in the senior parking.

Junior Lauren Rodriguez said, “We decided to do it because our whole club is all about fundraising for Make-A-Wish, and Krispy Kreme offered the opportunity to fund raise if you buy a certain number of doughnuts. You can sell them for a profit.”

According to Rodriguez, the sale not only helped raise money for Make-A-Wish, but also spread awareness for their club. “Krispy Kreme makes fundraising really easy, so we thought it would be a good way to raise funds for awareness for the club in general,” she said.

The club has also used a variety of methods for raising money for the program. Junior Cassidy McAlpin said, “We’ve had Eat for a Cause at restaurants like Pizza Antica and Paxti’s, and they donate a certain percent of their earnings to Make-A-Wish Foundation. We have also done Letters for Santa at Macy’s.”

This is the first time the club has sold doughnuts. “It seemed like a good idea because a lot of people like doughnuts. We had 15 dozen doughnuts and we sold all of them. We weren’t allowed to sell on campus after 6th period so we were on the parking lot until after 7th period when we split up and I went to the quad and Audrey stayed in the parking lot,” McAlpin said.

According to Price, the event was a success. “It turned out good. We’re thinking of doing it again,” she said.

Rodriguez said, “We definitely want to do it again in the future because we made good money and we raised awareness for it and we think it was a really good way to help spread the word about our club.”