Business, Math, Science Clubs Prepare to Compete

Business Club

The Business Club, according to co-president Sydney Liu, is preparing for the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) competition on March 2nd by doing practice tests and composing speeches. FBLA has 3 events: public speaking, team, and individual test taking. This is the first time a business club has been formed on campus in many years. Liu said the club needs to raise money, so “in the next couple weeks [they’ll] be doing fundraising.” They meet Thursdays at lunch in C4.

Gavel Club

Gavel Club is about “improving public speaking – by speaking”, said member Will Tamura. Every week, members speak in front of the club, and other members give feedback about the speeches. While Debate Club and Gavel Club are similar, Tamura said they are “not competing with Debate Club.” Gavel Club meets every Tuesday at lunch in F5.

Math Club

13 students participated in the 1st round of the Mandelbrot tournament, a math-test competition, on November 7. There are 5 rounds for the individual division and 3 for the team division, which starts in January. Mandelbrot has 2 tiers of difficulty, National and Regional. Chan describes the Regional competition as “pretty casual.” To prepare for the next round of the tournament during the 1st week of December, the club is doing old tests every Wednesday at lunch in D9.

Science Olympiad

Science Olympiad is competing in Physics Bowl, according to president Gyubin Jang. Physics Bowl is a science-test competition against teams from other schools. Physics Bowl is conducted between January and February, according to member Kevin Peng. There is no limit to the number of people the school can send to the competition. To prepare for Physics Bowl, Jang said the club is “solving problems from last year.” They meet every Thursday in D11.