The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Travels, Sports, and Making Memories: A Busy Campo Summer

Whether they were traveling the world, spending time with friends, or hanging out at home, Campo students had no shortage of things to do this summer.

Incoming seniors looked forward to annual traditions like car decorating and barbecues. Making the most of their last high school summer, the class of 2024 soaked up every moment. Many students went on vacations with their families or friends.

Senior Delaney Joyce traveled to Costa Rica this past summer.“I was on a Spanish immersion trip, and it was focused on environmental conservation in different communities in Costa Rica. We worked with different organizations, did beach cleanup, and worked with a turtle sanctuary.”

Joyce explained that her favorite part of the trip was, “seeing a turtle lay eggs. The turtles come up to the beach at night and would dig a hole to lay their eggs in and we got to watch them swim back to the water.”

As well as having fun with their friends, seniors who are looking to attend a four-year college spent time writing essays and filling out applications. Senior Rachel Andre was hard at work completing her personal essay and other aspects of the college application process, “I did an online course with the University of Chicago, called Introduction to Quantitative Modeling in Biology. I also did some brainstorming for my essay and worked on my UC application.”

Andre reflected on what the best and worst parts of college applications were, “It was cool to look back on everything I have done throughout all my highschools years, like volunteering, volleyball, and school accomplishments. The worst part was how stressful it was to think about college and graduating, especially because there is a lot of pressure in Lamorinda.”

Starting their first summer as upperclassmen, Campo juniors filled their summers with sports, social events, and more.

Junior Nikki Frazier, who is on varsity water polo, was busy with her athletic commitments, “This summer, I had a lot of tournaments. My team went to southern California multiple times. We woke up early because we had 8 A.M. games most of the time.”

While some Campo students stayed close to home, many were busy traveling across the country. Sophomore McKenzie Khan went to a camp in Maine for the whole summer. Khan said the summer camp is “probably [her] favorite place on Earth.” She said, “Camp Wohelo is on a lake and you get to swim, sail, canoe, and do a bunch of fun activities. You learn how to live with other people and how to push through obstacles. My favorite part of the camp was the friends I made there. I still keep in touch with them throughout the school year.”

Campo students will reminisce on the memories they made at the start of the 2023-2024 school year.