“Humble” Hoopsters Crush Broncos

Jack Bunzel-Hardie, Staff Writer

The boys’ varsity basketball team soundly defeated the Northgate Broncos 70-46 at home on January 29, continuing their dominant run in Diablo Athletic League (DAL) play and securing the 2nd seed in the Division II North Coast Section Tournament.

The Cougars scored 17 points in the 1st quarter while only allowing 9. They increased their lead, scoring 17 in the 2nd quarter and 18 in the 3rd quarter. The Broncos only manage to score 9 points over the same span. Campolindo fished off the visiting Broncos with a 24-point run in the final quarter.

Sophomore Aiden Mahaney was the Cougar’s top scorer with 23 points.

Junior Emmanuel Callas said that part of the team’s success can be attributed to how close everyone is to 1 another. “Everyone is putting in a lot of work. I trust everyone on the team,” he said.

Sophomore Matt Radell said, “We all play really well with each other. I think that’s important.”

Sophomore Cade Bennet added that, although the success is sweet, the team continues to put their heads down and work. “We’ve all taken a humble approach to the season and I think that is part of our success,” he said.

Coach Steven Dyer believes that the team’s defense will help them as they move into the playoffs. “Being strong defensively every single game will be the most important when reaching our goals. That’ll carry over game to game,” said Dyer. “Going into NCS, we need to stay on course and we’ll be successful.”