Girls’ Soccer Holds Its Own Versus Knights

Ava Mason, Staff Writer

Girls’ varsity soccer battled to a draw against the defending NCS champion Las Lomas Knights on February 10.

“I think that the game went very, very well for us. I mean, Las Lomas is defending NCS champions; they are undefeated for the season, and for us to pull out a tie and playing well enough to maybe have put a win, I think that [the game] surpassed my expectations,” said head coach Ernesto Silva.

Las Lomas scored 1st, and held the 1-0 advantage through most of the 1st half.

Sophomore Savannah DeCarlo evened the score for the Cougars just 3 minutes before half time.

Las Lomas’ star player Haley Brown put the Knights back in front on a shot that saw Campolindo goalie Haleigh Goett diving to the turf in a failed attempt at blocking it.

Silva was complementary of Brown’s contribution to the undefeated Knight’s winning season, but believes that his squad’s strength may be in the fact that it lacks a dominant standout. “We don’t necessarily have any 1 person that makes us as good as we are today,” says Silvia. “I think it’s a combination of all the players.”

Las Lomas controlled much of the game, though freshman Devon Ortman, assisted by junior Molly Ikeya, managed to break through to even the score a second time.

Freshman Mallory Louis attributed her team’s success agains the league leading Knights to a solid defensive showing. “The back line was doing really well containing their forwards,” she said.

The tie ensured that both squads would advance to the NCS tournament.