Chemistry Key for Soccer Success

Mariel Rossi deVries, Lifestyle Editor

After just a few preseason games, girls’ varsity soccer has already learned a big lesson.

The team beat Ygnacio Valley by a score of 3-0 on December 9. According to varsity coach Ernesto Silva, their plan has been to focus on one game at a time and lock together their offensive and defensive lines to prevent gaps. Campolindo successfully prevented the Warriors from scoring, leading to their 3rd consecutive pre season victory.

Their current success is an improvement over the 2015-2016 season. “Last year it was more individual play. We were kind of looking out for ourselves. It was not a good year for us, we had a lot of shots that we tried to get into goals and nothing was working out for us. It was almost like a bad luck season almost. This year we’re hoping to turn it into a good luck season,” said team captain Haleigh Goett.

According the Goett, her squad had difficulty coming together during games last year as the newer members adjusted to the team environment. They relied on individual proficiency rather than team chemistry.

“Last year was kind of a tough season. We didn’t make NCS and we had a hard time bonding as a team-the team dynamic just wasn’t clicking. This year it’s been really nice, we’ve gotten close and we’ve been winning,” said senior Julia Rossi.

This improvement in communication and chemistry has not happened accidentally. “We’ve made it a big priority to click on the field. Our coach has made it so the way we play in practice is the way we play in our games, so we try to work really hard in our practice so we can win some games,” said Goett. In addition, the team holds group lunches and pasta feeds to foster connections outside of practice.

Older teammates work to make younger members feel that they belong. “We would bring them in and treat them like they had been here before,” said senior Melissa Wilson, also team captain. Wilson has played on the Campolindo varsity team all 4 years and has observed its changes over time. “We’ve gotten closer as a team. I feel like I’m friends with everyone and I definitely didn’t feel like that in previous years. Honestly, the team chemisty has really changed. We’re able to connect more passes and communicate.”

The recent string of victories has bolstered team morale. “I think our good team dynamic and how much we like each other really shows on the field,” said junior Mia Nieto. In particular, teammates praised sophomore Nicole Huebner who plays defensive outside back. “Last year she was a freshman, kind of intimidated by everybody, and now she’s been coming out of her shell a lot. She has been playing and you can really see how she’s become a lot more confident,” said Rossi.

“It’s been impressive how cohesive they are. They have taken the new ones under their wing so they do not feel like outsiders, but like they belong,” added Silva. With 17 years of experience coaching soccer, Silva knows a good thing when he sees it. “They are right where I’d expect the team to be so I expect to see some pretty solid games and hopefully with a lot of hard work we will be where we need to be in order to start league.”