New Native American Club Helps Raise Awareness and Educate

Indira Naylor
Sebastian Whitfield, Max Polk, Zoe Seamen, Maya Schwartz, and Bella Stratford of the Native American Club smile for the camera.

Campolindo students established a Native American club this year to educate and raise awareness, while also celebrating culture that is not as prevalent on Campus. They hold meetings once a month in B7, Shannon Sieckert’s room.

Senior Bella Stratford, the president of the club, detailed the many activities and events that the club partakes in, as well as all the goals they have. “Right now we’re working on getting approval for a land recognition plaque which we’re going to try to have woodshop make….and we do tribal months for meetings,” Stratford said. For example, in October they will recognize the Cherokee Nation Tribe. Further, they are “going to try to do field trips to reservations and the Blackhawk Museum,” Stratford continued.

The creation of the Native American club has not been without its challenges, however. Stratford said she has been getting feedback from the community that “because [she’s] not that huge of a percent [she] shouldn’t be running it” and even questions about “whether or not [she] is Native American.”

Stratford thinks this feedback is the result of Native Americans being underrepresented on campus. “It’s something new and not everyone really knows much about it,” she said. This has certainly been difficult, especially since Native Americans do not make up a huge percentage of the population at Campo.

However, this has not deterred Stratford, or the rest of the club, from continuing in their endeavors. Stratford said she started the club because “it’s very important for not only [herself] but also other Native American people to see themselves represented at Campolindo.” Further, the club works to make a more inclusive space for people of this ethnicity. “We’re here to bring awareness and educate as well as celebrate our background and where we come from,” said Stratford.

Native American Club Vice President Senior Maya Schwartz, whose responsibilities entail running the instagram and communicating with administrators about projects the club is doing, believes the club has a great significance on Campo . She said they “bring awareness and light to the to the Native American communities and the small community we have on campus and educate people about Native American culture.”

Schwartz first became a member because Stratford “asked [her] to be VP and it sounded really interesting to help her out and start the new club,” she said. However, she now realizes more of the importance of the creation of the club. She hadn’t “seen any Native American Awareness on Campus at all”, so their group sets an important precedent, said Schwartz.

Other students feel similar about this sentiment. Senior James Martin thinks the club creates a more inclusive campus culture in general. “I think it serves a purpose where people that do identify can come together and exchange culture,” he said.

Overall, despite the challenges of starting this club, its creation has been well worth it. “Obviously there [has been] negative [feedback], but there’s been an overwhelming amount of positive feedback,” said Stratford. The club will keep working towards growing in members and will strive to raise awareness for the Native American community.