Boys Lacrosse Offer Opinions on Late Practice

The Campolindo Boys Lacrosse team starts practice late in the evening going from 7 p.m. and ending at 9 p.m., causing possible inconveniences for students depending on their priorities, schedules, and preferred homework times.

Whether this causes inconveniences or not depends on several factors, one of which being how students complete their work. If a student is someone who finishes their homework directly after school, a later practice time can be helpful. However, if a student procrastinates doing their work, finishing practice at a late hour may prove to be a challenge. Sophomore Liam Harju said, “I kinda like it because I have time to get all my homework done earlier in the day and then I can come home and just relax.”

While for people who have similar mindsets to Harju prefer having later practice because they can get their work done earlier, it isn’t like that for everyone. People who are their most productive in the evening and have a difficult time focusing after school may find it difficult to stay on track with less free time in the evening. Sophomore Sean Pieterre said, “I’d say they are just cons because practice is later. I do homework before but usually 7- 9 is the time where I do all my homework. So I end up doing a little bit of homework and just when I’m about to get a lot of stuff done I go to practice.”

Students that would rather do homework at night end up staying up very late on the days they have practice, and can end up becoming sleep deprived. Piettere added, “Because I have to catch up on all this homework I go to sleep really late. So after school is overall better.”

Having practice so late causes inconveniences for some when it comes to school related topics. However, for some students, it has positive elements. Having it after school includes not having to worry about the time in between school and practice. However, they do have to worry about certain weather aspects like the heat. For the boys lacrosse team, finishing practice at 9 p.m. usually guarantees colder temperatures. Varsity athlete Nolan Cuddihy stated, “It’s kind of nice at night because it’s colder. And I think if it were right after school we would have to worry a lot more about hydration and dealing with temperature related problems.”

Despite the practice time being so late in the day for the boys many still find joy in the sport. Harju stated “I really like it [lacrosse]. I love it.”

While practice for lacrosse may be late many of the boys still are able to keep up with school work and try their best not to procrastinate. For many of them they enjoy the sport fully even if it conflicts with their school work.