Sunshine and Success: DAL Track and Field Trials

On the sunny Saturday morning of April 27th, 11 schools traveled to Campolindo High School, showering Bob Wilson stadium in an array of jersey colors. Throughout the season, schools compete in dual meets, where two teams compete against each other. For Diablo Athletic League (DAL) championship trials, all schools in DAL come together to compete, hoping to advance to the final championship races held on May 4th. The environment at the track was bustling with excitement, nerves, and optimistic energy.

The meet started promptly at 10 am, with the first race being the frosh/soph division 1600m. Freshman Amalia Contreras commented that the energy at the track “definitely added to [her] adrenaline.” With so many schools participating in the championship meet, the stands were filled with people cheering on the athletes. Contreras really liked how “everyone was really encouraging and positive to each other” and found that the atmosphere both on the track and in the stands was “really fun.”

Freshman Drew Shogan thought the meet went, “really well.” All events were run under blue skies and warm sunshine, and Shogan added that “the conditions were good. It was a little hot but I raced in the morning so it was perfect running weather.”

Head track and field coach Chuck Woolridge kept the meet moving at a constant pace, making sure the gun was off right on time event after event. With so many athletes competing, all coaches were working hard, making sure every athlete was ready for their own events.

The main goal for trials is to be in the top 4 to automatically qualify to DAL finals. The next 8 fastest athletes also qualify, but to be in the top 4 is the main target. Senior veteran Shea Volkmer shared that the meet was “so fun.” Volkmer commented that running in the blue skies and sunshine “felt like summer” and gave her “so much energy.” Because it was the senior’s last time competing in DAL trials at Campolindo, she said it was “definitely bittersweet”, but “set up the excitement for postseason.”

The following meets of the track season are NCS Tri-Valley on May 11, NCS Meet of Champions on May 17-18, and State Championships on May 24-25. With summer weather approaching, the event conditions are looking to close the season with success.