The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

The Claw’s 2024 NFL Mock Draft 1.0

With looks of what these draftees will look like in their new uniforms

1. Chicago Bears (via Panthers) – Caleb Williams | QB | USC

Williams has all the tools to be a great NFL QB. An elite arm, not only in terms of strength but also accuracy, Caleb has the highest pinpoint % out of any QB in this year’s draft at 71%. His playmaking out of the pocket is also generational, routinely avoiding sacks and making big-time throws out of structure when his team needs it. Williams’s potential is practically unlimited which is why he will go number 1 overall to the Bears, hopefully leading them to their first playoff appearance since 2020.             -John Weaver

2. Washington Commanders – Jayden Daniels | QB | LSU
It is safe to say that 2023’s Heisman Trophy winner would be the 1st overall pick in any other draft. But, with a once-in-a-lifetime quarterback like Caleb Williams in the same draft class, Jayden Daniels falls to 2 in our mock draft. Daniels has every trait you want in a dual-threat quarterback, plus the college stats that prove that he is pro-ready. To put it simply, Jayden Daniels is everything Robert Griffin lll was, without the history of injuries. For his reckless play style, Daniels has only ever had 2 minor injuries in his college career – a grade 1 concussion, and a bruised rib – neither of which he missed time from. Moreover, Daniels would be inheriting Cliff Kingsbury as his Offensive Coordinator. Kingsbury has a history of developing dual-threat quarterbacks: Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, and Johnny Manziel. Daniels would be coming into a Commander’s team that made some key additions this offseason with linebacker Bobby Wagner, running back Austin Ekeler, and quarterback Marcus Mariota who will add a veteran presence in the quarterback room that will help with Daniels development as a quarterback.
-Harrison Fuller

3. New England Patriots – Drake Maye | QB | UNC

Drake Maye was the consensus #2 player before this college football season after a great sophomore year at North Carolina. This is for a good reason, Maye has an electric arm, similar to the likes of Trevor Lawrence, Josh Allen, and Justin Herbert where the ball just zips out of his hand with very little effort. This allows him to make any throw from any platform which he has shown he can do in college. Maye is fearless in and out of the pocket, looking to make a play until the very last second. He also goes through his progressions at a very high level, having the best pinpoint accuracy out of the top 6 QBs when throwing to his second read. Maye’s pitfalls are his production last year, struggling with accuracy and playing hero ball at times. Even so, his ability to stay cool, calm and collected under pressure, his elite arm talent, along with his ability to get to his second read will make him an elite quarterback for the Patriots for years to come.(In my opinion better than Daniels).

-John Weaver

4. Arizona Cardinals – Marvin Harrison Jr | WR | Ohio State

Harrison is a 6 foot 4, 205 pound receiver, has a tall build and is a generational talent at the position can make big plays and can go up and catch the ball during 50/50 plays. With his build he can go up and get the tough deep throws that could be contested by the defense. His great hands give him the ability to create these great plays and hold on to the ball under great coverage. With his tall build it gives him an edge over smaller defensive backs letting him catch balls over them and make them play off not trying to give up a deep ball to a strong deep route runner. He has great speed with his long legs, most defensive backs play off coverage on him giving them enough to stay with him, but his long legs give him the ability to blast right past the defense. His tall build also makes him a strong big target to throw too for quarterbacks. Harrison’s elite size does not prevent his ability to drop his hips and break down into routes, making him a mismatch nightmare for any defensive-back. He has great body control in the air when fighting back for contested catches. He plays smart with knowing the situations he is in and knows when to fight back to his quarterback when needed. His only downside to his game is that he lacks the short area explosiveness and twitch to create separation in short areas with the defense. He also is not the best run after catch player which could be concerning considering it is a major part of the game now, but that can be a quick fix, because of the speed and athleticism he has. He could have a breakout year if drafted by the Cardinals having Kyler Murray, an explosive playmaker with a great arm at quarterback would allow Harrison to have a breakout year. What the cardinals are getting with him is a player that is like Justin Jefferson or Aj Green, but 3 inches taller.

-Thomas Berg

5. Los Angeles Chargers – Malik Nabers | WR | LSU
Nabers, a 6 foot 200 pound WR is an explosive player that makes big plays all the time. He is a speedy fast player that is very explosive and has great acceleration while running routes. His top notch acceleration gives him the ability to make special things happen after the catch. He is known for his ability to get to top speed fast and also be able to hit the brakes mid route and create seperation from his defenders. He is a very hard player to guard and has great body control in the air when fighting for contested catches. He has great hands knowing exactly when to throw them up making it hard for the defender to contest the catch. He is a massive deep threat due to his killing speed and will for sure succeed in the league. He is also a very strong receiver making him a great run blocker. His downsides are that he tends to get pushed around by stronger more physical corners on routes causing him to go off his route. He also needs to work on his sideline and endline awareness, sometimes dropping passes due to him being out of bounds. He is still a very young receiver at only 20 years old and has a lot of time to improve those little things. The Chargers desperately are in need of a receiver after losing both Keenan Allen and Mike Williams over the off season. Only being left with a decent receiver in Joshua Palmer. Nabers would fit right in with this offense and Justin Herbert throwing him the ball. New head coach John Harbaugh likes to use his receivers as deep threats and also likes to work them into space where they can get tons of yards after catch. Nabers it’s exactly what they are looking for and would be a major upgrade in the receiver core. This would be a perfect pick for the Chargers and would help out a lot for the offensive game after losing star players over the offseason.
-Thomas Berg

6. New York Giants – Rome Odunze | WR | Washington
Odunze, a 6 foot 3 216 pound WR is as polished as they come. Odunze’s body control, tracking, and hands stand out as his superpower traits. Routinely using subtle shoulder bumps to create late separation, then waiting to flash the hands until the ball is catchable. Rome just finds a way to win at the catch point, whatever the situation might be. His route running might not be the most explosive but he was extremely effective, scoring all-green on perception and reception chart success rate in 2023(1st CFB WR to do that). Rome’s only real downside is that he is not a super athlete, scoring as the 10th-best WR at the combine. The Giants badly need a receiver to count on and Rome will fill that alpha receiver need for them, even if it is the slot.
-John Weaver

7. Tennessee Titans – Joe Alt | OT | Notre Dame

The Titans offensive line unit ranked dead last in Pro Football Focus’ (PFF) rankings for 2023. They need that cornerstone piece that will bring the unit as a whole up. There is no one better in this draft to do that than Notre Dame OT Joe Alt. Alt stands at an astonishing 6’9’’ 321 lbs. Also, football is in Joe’s blood. His dad, John Alt played 13 seasons in the NFL from 1984-96. Moreover, Joe made the AP All-American team for the 2nd straight year in 2023. He only allowed 1 sack last year and had the highest PFF rating for offensive lineman in 2023. Titans, come get your guy!
-Harrison Fuller

8. Atlanta Falcons – Dallas Turner | EDGE | Alabama

Turner, a 6 foot 3, 247 pound Edge Rusher is a fast athletic talent that can help teams win. His great first step speed allows him to go right by and get to the quarterback quickly interrupting plays. He also can get to the backfield fast and get to a running back to stop runs. He has great athleticism which gives him an advantage over other edge rushers in the draft due to his elite athleticism. His quick first hand strike can mess up tackles on their blocking when going against him giving him the edge over them allowing him to make big plays. He can also chase down a quarterback if he is scrambling out of the pocket. He comes from a winning background so he knows how he can help teams win games. His only downside is his hand fighting skills. Which may get him caught up in the league going against the best of the best. That can always be fixed over training camp though. If you look at his athleticism you are getting a great pick in him, because he can do so many things to impact the game. You could view him as a Micah Parsons type player or Brian Burns, but he has for sure a high upside and a great future ahead of him.
-Thomas Berg

9. Chicago Bears – Jer’Zhan Newton | DT | Illinois
For a lot of people this would be way too high for Newton but I think he is the best DT in the class. Newton might be a tad small for an NFL DT at 6’2 300 pounds but he makes up for that with elite technique when rushing the passer, using the “rip” “chop’ ‘ and swim move to slip by opposing offensive linemen. His Bull rush is also tenacious, routinely pushing opposing players into the QB, making life for the offense very difficult. He is no slouch in defending the run game, he does a great job shedding blocks and penetrating gaps but due to limited length, it is tough for him to be a total game wrecker there. The Bears DTs were pretty rough last year and Newton will add some much-needed spark beside pro bowler Montez Sweat in the front 7. The Illinois product will stay in the state with the Bears.
-John Weaver

10. New York Jets – Brock Bowers | TE | Georgia
Bowers is 6’ 3’’, 243 lbs. He is a very versatile pass catching tight end and has a great first step and is very fast and explosive in smaller areas. Even though being on the shorter end for tight ends he has great run after catch ability. He is also a very strong tight end with great blocking skills and plays very tough and strong. He is exciting to watch when he has the ball in his hands due to his ability to get up field and make people miss and also being able to run right through people. His downsides to his game is that he is an undersized tight end on the height scale and could be viewed as that. If he is not put in an offense that is going to find ways to use his skill set he may struggle in the NFL, but if he is drafted properly he will have a great rookie season. As projected he is going to land with the Jets, which would be a great fit for him, having a hall of fame quarterback in Aaron Rodgers to throw him the ball and also in an offense that is looking to pass the ball and get it to their playmakers. Bowers should have a breakout year for the Jets if he is drafted by them.
-Thomas Berg

11. Minnesota Vikings – J.J. McCarthy | QB | Michigan
12. Denver Broncos – Brian Thomas Jr. | WR | LSU
13. Las Vegas Raiders – Bo Nix | QB | Oregon
14. New Orleans Saints – Taliese Fuaga | T | Oregon State
15. Indianapolis Colts – Troy Fautana | T | Washington
16. Seattle Seahawks – Laiatu Latu | EDGE | UCLA
17. Jacksonville Jaguars – Terrion Arnold | CB | Alabama
18. Cincinnati Bengals – Olumuyiwa Fashanu | T | Penn State
19. Los Angeles Rams – Jared Verse | EDGE | Florida State
20. Pittsburgh Steelers – Amarius Mims | T | Georgia
21. Miami Dolphins – Byron Murphy ll | IDL | Texas
22. Philadelphia Eagles – Nate Wiggins | CB | Clemson
23. Minnesota Vikings (via Browns) – Cooper DeJean | CB | Iowa
24. Dallas Cowboys – Adonai Mitchell | WR | Texas
25. Green Bay Packers – Quinyon Mitchell | CB | Toledo
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Jackson Powers-Johnson | C | Oregon
27. Arizona Cardinals (via Texans) – Kool-Aid McKinstry | CB| Alabama
28. Buffalo Bills – Troy Franklin | WR | Oregon
29. Detroit Lions – Payton Wilson | LB | North Carolina State
30. Baltimore Ravens – Graham Barton | T | Duke
31. San Francisco 49ers – JC Latham | T | Alabama
32. Kansas City Chiefs – Ennis Rakestraw Jr. | CB | Missouri