The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Sideline Cheer Extends into JV Competition Cheer for Winter

With the conclusion of football season, the cheer program divides. Typically, Varsity Competition Cheer will head to competitions and Sideline will cheer on Campo’s basketball team. However, this year, Sideline will expand into JV Comp and will compete alongside Varsity Comp, all the way to the National Competition in February.

While the JV Comp team itself is a new addition, the idea has been around for a while. Senior co-captain of JV Comp Danika Ajari said, “Last year we did just one competition to try it out and it seemed like a lot of the people on the team enjoyed it…it’s a great opportunity for us…I really enjoy football but I also like competitions so it’s a great medium.”

Many others on the team agree that the duality of football season and competition season is good. Senior Miles Hallam said, “I think it’s fun because it gives both teams the chance to compete but there’s not as much pressure as being on Varsity Comp.”

With new opportunities come new challenges: “It can be stressful sometimes due to the pressure we put on ourselves to do well. On the sideline, we’re just there to support everyone, but with this, we really have to perform,” said junior Amaia Tzortzis.

Despite the added pressure of competition season, the team is still enjoying it. “It’s very fun,” said junior Azari Lathers. “It’s very different from Sideline [cheer] so it’s an interesting transition.”

Sophomore Caspian Lloyd said that overall, it’s a positive addition to the team. “It really shows how much effort we put into it and also lets us experience more [competition] cheer stuff than just Sideline.”

Campo’s JV Competition Cheer team is ready for a great season of fun, cheering, and competing. “I don’t know why we didn’t do it sooner,” remarked Hallam.