From Campus to Campus: Rachel Moen at UC Irvine, Shea Volkmer at Colorado State

Gregg De La Cruz
Shea Volkmer competing at DAL Champs

Every year, a handful of talented cross country athletes choose to compete at a higher level, retiring the high school uniform and stepping into a college one. Rachel Moen and Shea Volkmer are two of these athletes, already committed to UC Irvine and Colorado State respectively.

Moen’s running journey started with her junior year season where she immediately began to post marks that showcased her talent and commitment. Head coach Chuck Wooldridge had some kind words for one of his top runners. “Rachel has kind of burst into the scene after just one season.” After her inaugural season, Moen went in to compete at the State and National level with her team. Wooldridge noted that Moen’s “5k best was one of the reasons the team moved up the rankings and earned that NXN [Nike Cross Nationals] berth.” Moens excellent season set her up for Irvine recruitment and the rest was history.

Volkmer had a more conventional improvement history, starting running by joining her middle school cross country team 7 years ago. When Volkmer stepped into the Campolindo Cross Country program she was nowhere near the level of athlete she is today. Wooldridge explained that, “Shea has definitely shown a steady progression year after year due to her consistency and increasing her training volume and pace.”

“As a senior she is far and away the top runner in her grade, and one of the top runners in the history of Campolindo,” Wooldridge remarked. This drive and determination opened up a wide variety of opportunities in terms of recruitment and ended with her decision at Colorado State.

Moen immediately felt at home when she visited the UC Irvine campus. “It seems like a really supportive environment… and also the coach really cares about his athletes.” Going from the suburban streets of Moraga to the college campus of UC Irvine in LA, Moen is, “excited to be in a new place, and just to have new people and new running environments.”

Moen’s running career at Campolindo could not have prepared her more for this next step into collegiate athletics. Wooldrige noted that, “In getting to know Rachel, I’ve come to recognize her incredible competitiveness. She’s definitely someone who enjoys competitiveness and someone who is going to put forth every last ounce of effort to get where she wants to go.” Moen will continue to apply this mindset in her future endeavors at UC Irvine while being somewhere that “truly feels like home.”

Upon Volkmers official visit to Colorado State, she explained how, “It was like one of those moments where I just like… knew you know? I felt like I really belonged there.” The beauty of Colorado was also a draw for Volkmer, she remarked on how, “I really wanted to go to Colorado honestly from the beginning because I love the elevation and I wanted to be in the mountains with the weather changes.” Not only did the beauty of Colorado inspire Volkmer but also the coach and team. “[The team] was really cool, and the coach is great, she’s gonna be a great coach, and she’s very in touch with the female athletes so I’m really happy about that.” Wooldridge explained how Volkmer, “is definitely somebody that sets the standard for pushing themselves to their limit and training voraciously.” This “work ethic and tenacity in racing” is sure to set Volkmer up for an amazing four years at Colorado State.

As Rachel Moen and Shea Volkmer embark on their collegiate cross country careers, they carry with them a wealth of dedication, talent, and determination. Moen’s rapid rise to greatness and her enthusiasm for UC Irvine, as well as Volkmer’s steady progress and her passion for Colorado State, reflect the diversity of paths that talented athletes can take. Their choices are not just about the sport, but also about finding a place where they feel at home, both athletically and personally.

The Claw Staff wishes Rachel Moen and Shea Volkmer the best of luck in their college endeavors, and we look forward to witnessing their continued success and growth in the world of collegiate cross country.