The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Football and Flipping and Flying, oh my!

Sebastian Whitfield
Senior Hailey Wilson being thrown.

Honoring an annual homecoming tradition, the Competitive Cheer Team, Sideline Cheer Team, and Varsity Football Team learned a routine together to perform at the homecoming rally.

Starting a few years ago, football players attended one week of cheer practices before the homecoming football game. While now the routine is viewed as a fun way to increase school spirit, it did not start that way.

In 2019, the Varsity Cheer Team performed a dance in front of the schools at one of the rallies. During the performance, some of the members of the football team ridiculed and put down the cheerleaders. Former Principal John Walker wanted to increase the respect directed towards the cheer team and decided a good way to do this was to make the football players perform in a rally with the cheer team in front of the school.

Ever since then, it has been an ongoing tradition to build appreciation for the cheer team and bring the school together.

Starting September 11, the football players practice with both cheer teams. They learn how to stunt with both cheerleaders and each other, how to dance, jump, and tumble.

The cheer team prepared for the football team routine by choreographing a dance, teaching stunts, and building formations.

Sideline Head Captain senior Anna Hays said, “I was excited going into the practice, it’s always a really fun experience. I was most excited to watch them stunt and see their energy.”

Senior Maggie Keough reflected on the first few practices, “I was really excited going into the football practice because I love to help teach new things and wanted to give the football players a taste of what cheerleading is like.”

Through continuous practice and hard work, the football team learned what cheerleading is all about.

Varsity Quarterback senior Isaiah Ortiz was surprised to find out he was a featured part, “my favorite part was learning the dance and finding out that I had a solo.”

New transfer from De La Salle, junior Mack Fisher had lots to look forward to during homecoming week, “I have a feeling it’s going to be fun to perform and it’s my first game back that week because of transfer rules.”

Not only is the routine enjoyable for the audience, it provides a break from the stresses and pressures of football. It gives the teams a chance to bond and build school morale.

Varsity football player senior Jake Spencer was excited to put himself out there and get out of his comfort zone, “I really like the dance we are doing this year, it was choreographed well and I think we are going to show the school that we are more than football players.”

The football team had lots to look forward to once they stepped onto the mat. In just their socks, they were preparing to throw each other as high as possible.

Spencer added, “My favorite part was flying. I like getting tossed in the air because it is fun and it builds a level of trust with your team because you have to believe that they are going to catch you.”

What was once supposed to be a consequence for the football team has turned into a long-standing tradition that everyone looks forward to during homecoming week.