Swimming, Boys’ Volleyball Lead Spring-Season Programs

Erika Riedel, Business Editor

The spring sports season started on February 11, and many teams are already looking forward to successful postseason runs.

BASEBALL: The varsity baseball team is looking for redemption after losing to Alhambra in the North Coast Section (NCS) semifinals last season. Senior Jack Dougherty and Grant Harper predict that talented underclassmen will aid the team in their run for an NCS Championship.

BOYS’ VOLLEYBALL: After defeating Northgate High School 3-1 to take home the NCS Championship, the boys’ volleyball team ended its 2019 season with a 0-3 loss to Bellarmine College Prep in the 1st round of the NorCal Tournament. Sophomore Brian Thomas is hopeful for the team’s comeback and is confident in its ability to “take NorCal this year,” as “a lot of the new guys are really strong and the team is more prepared for the tough matches.”

GIRLS’ LACROSSE: Despite losing 11 seniors to graduation, the girls’ lacrosse team is hoping to advance further into NCS than last year’s season-ending 1st-round 7-20 loss to Granite Bay. Senior Devon Ortman sees potential in the 2020 team as it has a “positive and a new spark of energy.”

BOYS’ LACROSSE: After falling just short of the NCS semifinals with a 6-13 loss to University High School, the boys’ lacrosse team is “hungry to bring back a banner at the end of the season,” according to sophomore David Colachico. Colachico has hope that the “new players” will give them the edge to “build upon the 2019 season” to earn an NCS title.

BOYS’ TENNIS: In hopes of repeating as Diablo Athletic League (DAL) Champions, the boys’ tennis squad looks to seniors Benji Goldblatt and Sanjeev Sarin. According to junior Arjun Chhabra, this year’s team has “exquisite chemistry” and “remarkable freshmen” that will hopefully lead them to NCS qualification.

SWIMMING: Varsity swimming heads into its 2020 season following a stellar NCS performance in 2019. On top of the boys’ 1st place and girls’ 2nd place NCS ranking, swimming is looking to improve upon last year’s girls’ 6th place and boys’ 11th place finish at State. Despite the “loss of a lot of seniors,” junior Natalie Ung predicts the team to “still be pretty strong at NCS,” and sees “a lot of promise for this year.”

DIVING: Under the leadership of new coach Eric Holzheimer, the diving team expects to repeat its 2019 NCS success, where senior Josiah Klock’s won the championship and 2 other divers qualified for the meet. Klock sees potential in junior Daniel Zabronsky and senior Hailey Tang.

SOFTBALL: With the graduation of senior captain Kaitlyn Poole, softball looks to sophomores Kaeli Martinet and Sarah Tallarico and senior Emma Rahimi to lead them to an NCS title. “Even though it will be hard to not have Kaitlyn, we are all a lot closer this year and I think that we have a good shot at NCS,” said junior Kira Jamgotchian.

BOYS’ GOLF: After taking home the NCS runner-up trophy, junior Baron Szeto hopes that he will be able to “make a run for State.” Besides Szeto’s talent, the team will have a “solid top 6” with the potential to improve upon its previous 8th place finish at the NCS meet.

TRACK AND FIELD: With school-record-holder Maddy Doane and state meet qualifier Edward Buckley lost to graduation, the track and field program is hopeful that last season’s frosh soph athletes will step up to the varsity challenge. According to senior Ellie Guthrie, this year’s girls’ team shows the most promise with its throwers, led by senior Lily Matranga, and sprinters, led by sophomores Sara Tabibian and Kyrstin Wilson.