JV Boy’s Squad Tops Field at Capital Cross

Gracie Woidat, Lifestyle Editor

The junior varsity boys’ cross country team placed 1st out of 31 teams in the open division 2-mile race at the Capital Cross Challenge Invitational, held at Higgins Oak Golf Course in Sacramento on September 28.

While the veteran boys’ squad looked impressive agains the large field, the varsity girls’ team finished behind league rival College Park for the 2nd consecutive weekend.

Held on a golf course, the short grass and relatively flat terrain of the meet offered an opportunity for fast times.

“This meet was very exciting. We saw many improvements, and the course was a different experience from what we usually have because it doesn’t have hills and the course is very manicured,” said junior Sydney Roberts, who broke the 21 minute barrier for the 1st time in the varsity girls’ 5k race.

According to assistant coach Andy Lindquist, the meet “was a definitely a big confidence booster for all of our squads.” It was also the 1st time this season that they were “running a big varsity invitational and really going for it,” said Lindquist. 

According to senior Alicia Hober, College Park “put up a good fight.” Their #1 runner finished just ahead of the Cougars’ top finishers, Hober and freshman Ellie Buckley.

“College Park is looking very strong this year, and we’re anticipating some big competition in the League meets,” said Hober. “I’m excited to see what happens and to see what the new blood on our team can do.”

Although there medals or other prizes for the boys’ victory in the open race, junior Jack Pieper said that they were “all very excited” about the win.

“I think that we worked together well and pushed each other,” said Pieper. “It was definitely a confidence boost going into our 1st League meet, and I expect us to do well.”

“Even though the varsity girls have some work to do it was awesome seeing the [JV] boys have such an awesome race. I think it really inspired the whole team,” said Roberts.