Girls’ Volleyball Faces Division 1 Challenge

Nicole Kennedy, Opinion Editor

As a result of its previous success, including a 2nd place finish at the North Coast Section (NCS) Championships, the girls’ varsity volleyball team has been moved to Division I, where they will face off against other top teams.

In 2016 the NCS Board of Managers implemented a policy that moves teams into larger divisions based on post-season performance.

This season’s team is the “1st [Campo girls’ volleyball] team to be recognized as DI from the beginning of the season.” By student population, Campolindo is technically a DIII school.

Junior Kate Dendinger is eager to see how the squad will fare against the new competition. “[It] will be a challenge, but I think we have the skill and the grit to do really well this season,” Dendinger said.

Dendinger believes that the team “has a long way to go” but with the entire season ahead of them, they have “lots of time to get there.”

The move to DI has added “some pressure to perform well and place high[ly],” said Dendinger. “Campo [volleyball] teams have always been very successful, so we just want to continue that by using the opportunity we have now.”

The 2019 squad includes 4 new players: sophomores Angela Devine and Colby Atlas, junior Madison Xiong, and freshman Olivia Wiseman.

Devine is excited to see what this season will bring for the team. “Everyone says that NCS is the best part of the season so I really want to make it to the end,” she said.

Some team members are playing new positions this year. Junior Laura Studebaker, who was a defensive specialist last year, now also sets, while the team’s usual setter, team captain, senior Audrey Pak, hits in the front row.

“I haven’t set for a long time so I am excited to be playing something new and learning how to connect with the hitters,” said Studebaker.

The team won its 1st 2 preseason matches against Amador High School and Foothill High School. The 1st regular season Diablo Athletic League game is scheduled for September 24 at Acalanes.