400 Specialist Improves Record at State Meet

Sarah Naughten, Staff Writer

Senior Maddy Doane broke her own school record in her final high school competition, finishing the 400 meters in 55.52 at the CIF State Track & Field Championship trials on May 24.

“I’m really grateful to be able to be able to run against really great competition and the experience was really great,” said Doane.

The girls 4×400 relay squad, which was comprised of sophomore Terrell Bell, Doane, and freshmen Emily Hatch and Sara Tabibian, ran the 2nd fastest time in school history at the trials.  The time was 12th best in the field.

“Even though we didn’t qualify to go onto finals I’m still really happy with our performance. We improved our time and even though we didn’t get the school record we still got a fast time. I’m just really happy with how we did,” said Hatch.

“Everyone ran their best split at the same time at the state meet. So we had seen the pieces it just had never all come together on the same day…It was one of those things were it came all together at the right time,” said co-head coach Tim Hunter.

Senior Edward Buckley placed 20th in the 320o meter race with a time of 9:21.56 in Saturday’s finals. “Teddy went out in 4:32, so he was right in the mix. He didn’t have the great day that he had the week before but it wasn’t a bad day,” said Hunter.

Hatch hopes that the relay squad will return to the state meet next year. “I definitely want to try and get back to state but it kind of just depends on what our team is like next year because we will be losing one of our crucial parts of the team, Maddy, so we will need to find someone to kind of replace her,” said Hatch

Doane is confident in the squad’s ability to do well without her. “They still got 3 underclassmen on the team as well as Kyrstin, who was the alternate, so I think they are pretty stacked for the coming year,” said Doane.