JV Soccer Sets Season Win Record

Ryan Erickson-King, Staff Writer

The JV boys’ soccer team finished the winter season with a record of 15-3-2 after beating Miramonte 3-0 on February 2.  According to coach Miguel Camacho, in doing so, his squad broke the previous record for most wins held by the 2008-2009 Campolindo team.  That squad had amassed 14 wins over their season.

“It was a competitive game,” said freshman Nate Powers. “But when it got to the 2nd half, they got tired, and we pulled ahead.”

According to players, the season was notable both for their impressive win-loss ratio and for their defensive stats, which included a near-all-time low numbered of goals allowed.  The lowest number of goals allowed was also recored by the 2008-2009 team.

“During the season, we were not thinking about the record what so ever. We were taking it game by game,” said captain Beck Chambers. “When we found out that we could have set 2 possible records, it became more real to us.”

“This year we were able to score [more] goals that mattered in games than in previous years that we would lose 5-0 or 6-0,” said Chambers. He also attributes improved shooting for their wins over Alhambra and James Logan.

In spite of the success, the captains think the team has room for improvement. “I plan to keep the boys discipline to our playing style and help them improve on working as a team,” said  Camacho.