Golf Finishes DAL Season 4th

Golf Finishes DAL Season 4th

Sarah Naughten, Staff Writer

The girls’ golf team placed 3rd in the Foothill Division and 4th overall at the league championships on October 15. This year’s squad came into the championships with 4 wins on the season, 2 more than they had in 2017.

This year, the team gained 2 talented freshmen, Ansley Murphy and Chase Obsitnik. “We have more people [that] have joined this year and I think they have been working harder so I think we have a better team than I have heard from the past years,” said Obsitnik.

The championships consisted of an 18 hole tournament, but groups of 3-4 started at different holes to complete the course. Junior Natalie Baire said that this “shotgun start” is beneficial because “we all finish at the same time so if we are at the beginning we are not waiting for the other group and if we are at the end we are not being waited on.”

In addition to placing 4th overall, the team posted an NCS qualifying score. In order to qualify for NCS a team must either win the Foothill or Valley division of the DAL championships or petition for a bid to get into NCS if they have a qualifying score.

According to Smith, “everyone did pretty well. Honestly, I think we all could have done better because the course is easier than what we are normally used to playing on.”

Smith scored under 100.