Girls’ Frosh Soph Wins Track Title

Jessica Rosiak, Staff Writer

The frosh-soph track and field squads completed winning seasons at the Diablo Athletic League championship on May 12. The girls’ team won the title while the boys took 2nd.

The varsity teams also faired well, with both the boys’ and girls’ squads finishing 4th out of the 12-team league.

“I think [DALs] went really well for the entire team. There were records that were broken, and it was a nice day to run. It was just a really positive atmosphere,” said freshman Helen Kaidantzis.

“I think that the really hard work ethic kind of started at the beginning of the season and really continued through championships so that stayed the same and people with that work ethic really got to improve throughout the season and as well as at championships,” said senior captain Isabella Chao.

According to Pablo Nguyen, who won the 800m event at the championships for a 2nd consecutive season, he and his teammates elevated their intensity in the post season.

While the frosh soph boys fell short of defending their 2017 league title, there was a lot to celebrate.  And for athletes who plan to return next year, it was an opportunity to grow as competitors. “We didn’t win the championships as we expected, but we had some good individual performances and a lot of big PRs from some runners,” said Nguyen. “That college park team did really good they really surprised us, and we didn’t expect them to be that good, so its a learning lesson.”

Miramonte continued to be the biggest threat to the frosh soph girls’ title hopes.  “I know that the girls frosh-soph 4×100 was a very big upset and that Miramonte was supposed to win it, but when Campo did, it was super exciting, and everyone was standing in the bleachers screaming for the girls,” said Alica Hober.

“I think that the frosh sophs athletes really pulled it together… I was really proud of them,” said Chao.

“It was a really nice way to push each other at the end of the season and to just give one final effort and do your best,” said Kaidantzis.

Sophomore Ellie Guthrie won all 3 distance races at the championships.  While she was the favorite in the 1600m and 3200m races, her 800m victory was an upset. Hober said “it was super awesome to see her cross the finish line.”

Chao said the wins were “incredible to watch since she has put in so much hard work this season and it has really payed off.”

Varsity competitor Maddy Doane, in just her 1st year of track, earned a sprint victory.  Her 25.17 finish in the 200m is also a new school record.

“I know the 200’s were helped a bit by the wind,” said Kaidantzis. “I think that was super special to watch and see [Doane’s] race.”

Senior Ashley Thoms also won the triple jump.

Thoms and Doane also contributed legs to the 4th place 4x100m relay team.  They were joined on the squad by Fiona Quimby and Natalie Arnswald.

“Fiona and Natalie worked so hard all season they got to advance to NCS which is really exciting to watch,” said Chao.

In the boys’ frosh soph competition Alex Metz won in the 100m with a time of 11.16 seconds.

“I know that Bella and Jenna really killed it in their mile and two mile and they were out there giving it their all. Mia Travis had a really big PR at trials and she went back out there again and just did fantastic  and Sophie coming back from an injury and going out there and running so hard and doing so well was just exciting to see” said Hober.

In the varsity boys’ distance events Teddy Buckley was the top Campolindo performer, finishing 3rd in the 1600m.