Spring Sports Wrap up

Madeleine Singh, Sports Editor

SWIMMING

Earning 2nd place in both the boys’ and girls’ divisions at the North Coast Section (NCS) meet, 19 swimmers advanced to CIF finals on May 19 and 20, where the girls placed 18th out of 74 teams and the boys placed 57th out of 78 teams. “The amount of effort put in by everybody during practice was reflected in the success we saw at the end of the season,” said junior Paige Hanley. “Our success also highlighted the team’s unity- it would be a lot harder to swim fast without a group of people cheering behind the lanes.”

DIVING

Sophomore Josiah Klock, who scored 415.45 points to place 4th in the boys’ competition at the May 10 NCS Championships, is among the 4 CLAM (Campolindo, Las Lomas, Acalanes, Miramonte) divers who qualified for the CIF Championships on May 19, where Klock placed  24th overall.  “Just qualifying for States is a huge accomplishment- only 64 divers in the entire state are invited,” said head coach Will Haynes. “It is the highest caliber high school diving event to compete in and I am very proud of [CLAM’s] 4 qualifiers.”

SOFTBALL

Varsity softball finished its season with a 7-3 league record and a 13-7 record overall. The team was eliminated from the North Coast Section tournament in a 12-2 loss to Marin Catholic in the quarterfinal game on May 25.

BASEBALL

Varsity baseball continues to advance through the North Coast Section Division III tournament, holding the 2 seed right behind Miramonte. The squad finished its regular season with a 4-6 league record and a 13-10 record overall.

BOYS’ GOLF

Boys’ golf won the NCS tournament on May 14, beating out De La Salle by a single stroke. “We thought we had a shot, but that was going further than our goals,” said senior Jay Thomas, one of the team’s captains. “So I think what made our team great this year is that we were all so focused and determined, and we never gave up.”  The team advanced onto NorCals on May 21, where they finished 5th.

BOYS’ TENNIS

Boys’ tennis won the DAL League title for the 1st time since 2011, finishing its season with a 13-5-1 record. “We knew it was going to be a good season because we only lost 2 of our starters from last year and a lot of people were going to be seniors this year,” explained senior Ty Dow. Notable performances included junior Cal Hunter finishing 2nd in the DAL singles tournament before advancing to the quarterfinals of the NCS singles tournament, and senior  Zach Goldman and junior Nick Bohm finishing 3rd in the NCS doubles tournament after finishing 2nd in the DAL doubles tournament.

BOYS’ VOLLEYBALL

Boys’ volleyball advanced to the NCS semifinal game before losing to Acalane.  The Cougars fell 16-18 in the 5th set, despite having defeated the Dons in league matches earlier in the season.”It was exciting- there wasn’t a dull point at all. It was all up and down, emotional, a crazy roller coaster of a game,” said senior Grant Larsen. “I think if you were to look at that game and compare it to 4 months ago, there was a lot of growth.” The squad finished its season with an undefeated league record (10-0) and a 32-9 record overall.

BOYS’ LACROSSE 

Boys’ lacrosse was left out of the North Coast Section tournament after finishing league with a 4-12 record. According to senior Brian Gross, the team was in a transition year after losing half of last year’s roster to graduation. “You can see that in our record and how it ended,” Gross added.

GIRLS’ LACROSSE

Under the leadership of a new coach, girls’ lacrosse advanced to the NCS semi-final game before losing to Miramonte 11-6 on May 15. “We all were sadder about the fact that it was the end of this team and that we aren’t going to be able to play all together again,” added junior Chloe Guthrie. The team finished its season with a 13-7 record.

TRACK & FIELD

Andrew Kimball advanced to the state championships with a 3rd place finish in the discus at the NCS Meet of Champions on May 26 at Edwards Stadium on the UC Berkeley campus.  Other top performers in the spring included Ashley Thoms, who set a personal best of 36-3.5 in the triple jump to move up to 2nd all time on the Campolindo record board, and Krish Visht, who won the DAL pole vault title with a mark of 13-4.