Girls’, Boys’ Swimming Finish 2nd at NCS

Jane Maiocco, Staff Writer

Both boys’ and girls’ varsity swimming placed 2nd at the North Coast Section championships at Las Positas College on May 11-12. All 6 relay squads finish in the top 8.

The girls team scored 253.5 points, finishing behind Monte Vista for the 2nd consecutive year.

“This year was definitely a lot more competitive, and I think the stakes were higher, especially our girls’ team were a lot more competitive this year,” said sophomore Maddie Smith. “Everyone really rose to the occasion and swam really well.”

Over the last 10 years, the boy’s team has consistently finished among the top 3 in the section. This year’s group scored 275 points, finishing behind San Ramon Valley.

While the team didn’t earn a championship title, many remained upbeat about their performances. “About halfway through the meet, we realized that we probably weren’t going to win, that we’re probably going to get 2nd, but still people stayed positive, stayed engaged, cheered very well for all of our teammates,” said senior Max Younger.

Younger spent his last NCS meet focusing on being a leader and having a “positive influence on the younger swimmers that were there and get them motivated. It’s a very intense meet and people want to do well.”

Coach John Studebaker described senior Michael Wheeler’s performance in the 500-yard freestyle as one of the highlights. Wheeler swam a 4:31, finishing in the top 8.

Studebaker said,”The team swam great both days and the coaches were very pleased with the results.” He added that 17 swimmers swam strong enough to advance to the CIF State Meet on May 18-19.