Football, Cross Country Last Hope for NCS Fall Titles

Madeleine Singh, Sports Editor

Girls’ varsity water polo finished 18-6 overall, ending its season with a 12-6 loss against Miramonte in the North Coast Section semifinals on November 8. “It’s pretty sad, but we did all we could, and there’s always next year,” said junior Christina Crum. The team loses 6 seniors to graduation, including 3 starters.

Boys’ varsity water polo finished their season 23-3 and were undefeated in league play. The team advanced to NCS title match, where it lost to Sir Francis Drake 12-10 on November 11. The squad also advanced to the 2017 CIF NorCal Championship Tournament.

Girls’ varsity tennis wrapped up its season on October 24 at the Diablo Athletic League Championship tournament held at College Park. All 18 of the team’s members participated, though none advanced past the 1st day. Notable performances included senior Jess Simon-Parker advancement to the singles quarterfinals, and junior Charmae Wang and senior Tanya Zhong’s advancement to the doubles quarterfinals. The team finished with a 3-7 league record.

Girls’ varsity golf finished 2-4 in league. Junior Ashley Pan was the squad’s only member to advance beyond the league championships, qualifying for the Northern California Championship. “I’m super proud for her and happy that she made it so far,” said Pan’s teammate, junior Tintin Walden.

Girls’ varsity volleyball ended its season 29-9 while adding a 5th season to their streak of undefeated league play. The squad advanced to the NCS DII Championship Final, losing to Bishop O’Dowd 3-1. The team loses 6 seniors to graduation.

Cross country swept all 6 division titles at the DAL Championship meet on November 4, including 10th consecutive league crowns for both the junior varsity and varsity boys’ teams.  Isabella Chao’s individual victory in the girls’ varsity race was her 1st DAL title, and the 10th time in 10 years that a Campolindo athlete has won the league championship race.

Chao’s sister, Bianca, was the junior varsity girls’ individual winner, and Jeremy Ahn led a Cougar sweep of the top 7 individual places in the junior varsity boys’ race.  All told, the Cougars claimed 31 individual all-league honors.  Both varsity teams will compete this Saturday at the NCS Championships on the Hayward High School 3.0 mile course.  The girls are currently ranked #1 in the section and 3rd in California for division 3 schools.

After wrapping up league play with 3 wins and 2 losses, varsity football beat Fremont’s Washington High School in its 1st playoff game. The Cougars face off against Maria Carrillo at home this Friday, November 17, in the NCS quarterfinals.