Lackluster Play Good Enough for Volleyball Win

Madeleine Singh, Sports Editor

Girls’ varsity volleyball beat Acalanes in straight sets, 25-22, 25-19 and 25-20 on October 17.

While the Cougars didn’t give up a set, their coach was concerned with the level of play his athletes brought to the contest. “I don’t know what we were thinking [going into the game], and I think that was the problem,” said coach Dave Chen. “I think [the team] maybe thought they were going to win, but they didn’t play well- we didn’t play well at all.”

The squad had beaten Acalanes twice this season heading into Tuesday’s game.

“I think the beginning of the game was a little rough to start with, but I think that we definitely picked up our energy and had more fun- I know I was having more fun out there- and I think part of it was just getting back into it,” said junior libero Sarah Carrasco, who added that the team hadn’t been able to practice October 10-13 because of air quality conditions.

“I feel like we lacked energy in the 1st set, but the next couple of sets were better, but still our play wasn’t there,” said sophomore middle Sophia Newman.

In spite of the challenges, the Cougars did muster enough to fend off the Dons.

“We just made a few more plays [than Acalanes], I think that’s it,” added Chen.

Highlights of the game included 5 aces and 37 assists by sophomore setter Audrey Pak, 10 kills by senior outside hitter Cameron Blakely, and 12 digs by Carrasco.

“Actions speak louder than words. Energy is a big part of volleyball, it’s always the mindset, and you can’t play without those things,” said Newman.