Athletes Sign College Commitments

Madeleine Singh, Sports Editor

9 student athletes signed college letters of intent on April 19.

The lunchtime event was preceded by a few words from principal John Walker while athletes gathered at a row of tables to sign their letters and be photographed by friends and family.

Runners Ray Diaz, Jared Yabu, and Kyle Flett committed to Southern Oregon University, Brown University, and St. Edward’s University respectively. The trio were all part of the Cougar cross country squad that reached the state meet podium last fall and are currently competing in track & field.

“It’s definitely very meaningful to continue running in college because it’s a very important part of my life, and it feels good to have an opportunity to keep running on a team while still getting a good education,” said Yabu.

Juliet Arnswald, who holds the #6 all-time 300m hurdle mark for the Cougars, committed to run at Linfield College.

Water polo player Peter Brassinga committed to UC Santa Barbara, which placed 4th last year in Collegiate Water Polo Association’s (CWPA’s) rankings according to the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s (NCAA’s) website. Teammate Aidan Crouch committed to the United States Naval Academy.

“[USNA] has been my dream school since freshman year because I want to serve my nation,” said Crouch. “I went to a couple of camps and I talked to the coaches, emailed them, and they talked back to me,” he explained.

Volleyball players Emily VanKoll and Lauren Pak committed to University of Redlands and Carleton College, respectively.

Josh Rego committed to play baseball at Occidental College. “I just thought [Occidental] was a great fit, I love the area, and the coaches there are really outgoing,” said Rego, who added that baseball had been a passion of his since he was 3 or 4 years old.

“I was in contact with them a bit before [the camps and showcases], and after the camps they’re like ‘We like you’, overnight visit happened, and then it just kinda progressed. I ended up applying early decision and got in,” Rego said.