Familiar Foe Foils SoCal Swim Trip

Madeleine Singh, Sports Editor

Varsity boys’ swimming placed 1st while the girls’ squad place 3rd at the annual Mission Viejo Invitational on March 25 in Irvine, CA. The girls were surpassed by Redlands East Valley High School and rival Miramonte.

Freshman Olivia Tague’s 200 freestyle, junior Sophia Cavalli’s 1st place 200 freestyle, and the girls’ A and B 200 medley relays, which placed 2nd and 3rd respectively according to co-head coach John Studebaker, were all highlights of the trip south. “We had a lot of underclassmen step up and make finals,” added Studebaker.

“There weren’t any ‘lowlights’ of the meet except for the long bus ride back,” admitted Studebaker. “I think the highlights of the trip were the team bonding, we had a lot of fast swims, and the weather turned out to be way better than it was supposed to be.”

Other successful swims included senior Jolen Griffin’s 1st place finishes in the 100 backstroke and 100 butterfly, and the team’s 1st place title in the boys’ 200 yard medley relay. 

“It was really fun, I actually really liked it. I swam well, so that was nice,” said Tague, who placed 5th in the 100 yard backstroke, on his first time going to Mission. “I was really tired,” she added.

While most enjoyed the trip, which allowed the Cougars to see southern section competition, the girls’ loss to Miramonte was cause for concern. “I think [the defeat] just shows that we have areas we need to improve in and not lose come our dual meet and league meet. We just have to change our strategy,” Studebaker added.

The team continued their tradition of spending a day at Disneyland the day after the meet.