Basketball Advances to NCS Finals

Samuel Ganten, Staff Writer

Boys’ varsity basketball beat Analy High School, 68-53, to advance to the finals of the North Coast Section playoffs.

“They’re a really good team, and it wasn’t an easy game,” said head coach Steven Dyer. “Our team stuck to the plan and played very well.”

Analy scored the first points, but the Cougars focused on an offensive strategy in the 2nd half of the opening quarter to keep pace.

“Normally, defense is our strongest suit, but that game was the best offense game we’ve had all year,” said senior Michael Navruzyan.

“A lot of people contributed to this victory, with 8 scoring and 4 going doubles,” said Dyer. “We really let the results speak for themselves. At times we didn’t play the greatest on defense, but it still was a great game.”

Campolindo held of their opponents in the closing moments of the game by making free throws.

“What we tried to do over the course of the game was to stop their 2 good players from scoring,” said Navruzyan. “Number 1 got his points off, but we held number 11 in check.”

With this victory, Campolindo moves onto the finals against Salesian College Preparatory High School, the top seed in the tournament, on Saturday, March 4.

“I think our job as a team is to go into the game confident and expect it to play out the way we want it to,” said Navruzyan.

“I think we can beat them,” added Dyer.