Boys’ Basketball Holds off College Park

Ryan Jeter, Staff Writer

The 13-7 boys’ basketball team battled the 12-8 College Park Falcons for a big win at home on January 27. The Cougars came into the game following a tough loss to the Acalanes Dons on January 24.

The Cougars focused on guarding the Falcons’ best player, Raazhel Watkins, their leading scorer, who averages 20 points per game.

Guarded by senior Lev Garcia, Watkins only scored 9 points.

“We knew he was left handed going into the game, and the coach gave us a very in-depth scouting report of his tendencies” said senior guard Tom Caprio.

Nevertheless, the Cougars found themselves trailing by 2 points at the end of the 1st quarter. “One thing Campo tends to do is come out slow and not being prepared to play,” said Caprio.

Campolindo was able to regroup in the 2nd period, scoring 20 points while holding their opponents to just 5. “We came out of the 1st quarter ready to go,” said sophomore guard Jake Chan.

The Cougars returned to their slow starting ways coming out of half time however, allowing 16 points and only scoring 11. By the start of the 4th quarter, their lead was down to 10 points, 36-26.

Once again, Campolindo raised their intensity to hold off the College Park charge, maintaining their advantage through the end of the game to win, 60-49.

“We had a lead going into the 3rd quarter and part of it was that we thought we could sit back and ride the lead out, but College Park, being the talented team they are, made us realize that we had to keep competing with 100 percent effort throughout the game,” said Caprio.

“The crowd was a great factor in this win, and the attendance of the Red Sea has been great throughout the season, which we need,” Caprio added.