Dons End Soccer’s Series Streak

Beck Chambers, Staff Writer

Varsity soccer lost to Acalanes for the 1st time in 4 years, 1-0 on December 15.

According to assistant coach Jimmy Adranly, it was a streak the Cougars had hoped to continue.

Yet, some of his players were less distraught about the defeat at the hands of a neighboring school. Senior defender Scott Hillhouse said the rivalry between Acalanes and Campolindo “is a fake rivalry” created by the Dons.

In spite of the loss, team captain Kai Weyland was pleased with his squad’s efforts. “Even though we didn’t get the result we wanted, we kept pushing until the end which was good to see from the team,” the starting goal keeper said.

Head coach Shane Carney made a tactical decision to move senior captain Matty Rinquist to striker from center attacking mid, Rupert Dusauzay to right wing, and Soloman Dusauzay to left wing. With 5 minutes left in the game, junior Seppi Ortman had one of the closets shots of the night, from 35 yards out.

The revised offensive set allowed Campolindo more shots on goal, outshooting the Dons 8-2. However, after Acalanes scored at the 28 minute mark, no other shots found the net.

Nevertheless, the Cougars are making progress. Freshman Kellen Clancy said, “It was a big improvement from the previous 2 games. We got to keep working hard and everyone needs to put in maximum effort. It sucks losing to the Dons, but it’s a good improvement.”

Weyland also added that the team will “learn from this game, and will improve for the real rivalry against Miramonte,” which is set to take place January 4.