Football Wins 3rd Consecutive NCS Title

Madeleine Singh, Sports Editor

Varsity football won their 3rd consecutive North Coast Section Championship, beating Windsor High School by a score of 40-20 at Diablo Valley College on December 2.

The Cougars fell behind early as Windsor scored a touchdown on the 1st possession of the game. “When we were down, it was just because we weren’t executing,” said quarterback Jacob Westphal. “The only adjustment was to put our heads together and start to execute.”

With 4 minutes to go in the 1st quarter, junior Seppi Ortman kicked a 20-yard field goal, and then another with less than a minute to go, tying the score up at 6-6.

Windsor scored a touchdown early in the 2nd, but Campolindo countered with a 7-yard touchdown thrown by Westphal to John Torchio to even the score 13-13. With only 8 seconds left in the quarter, junior Vince Mossoti scored, giving Campolindo a lead they would keep for the rest of the game.

In the 3rd, Joey Berzins scored a touchdown to break the game open. After the Jaguars fumbled the ball, Campolindo gained possession and scored a 47-yard touchdown thrown by Torchio to Lev Garcia. The 3rd quarter ended with the score 34-20.

Minutes into the 4th quarter, Torchio scored a 19-yard touchdown, which would be the last score of the game.

“It’s a pretty incredible feeling to do this for three years in a row,” said Westphal, who finished the game with 284 total passing yards. “Our success really has to be accredited to our composure, and that comes from experience in tight games.”

Campolindo will go on to play in the CIF Regional Playoffs, with the first playoff game taking place on December 9 against Palma at Rabobank Stadium in Salinas, CA.