Mats Sink Girls’ Polo Title Hopes

Kyle Flett, Staff Writer

The girls’ varsity water polo team fell short of a section title, losing to Miramonte 8-2 after the Mats scored 6 times in the 2nd half of their NCS semi-final game at Miramonte High School on Wednesday, November 9.

At the half, the Cougars trailed by only 2 goals, but were struggling to find an offensive attack as the Mats’ defense kept them out of the net.

A goal by senior Olivia Price put the Cougars on the board shortly after the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

The tides quickly turned after a succession of counterattacks from the Matadors pushed the score to 8-1.

The offensive struggles continued for the Cougars after the onslaught. “We’re too compact on offense, so we couldn’t get a lot of scoring opportunities,” said senior goalkeeper Becca Buck. “And we just weren’t putting our shots away.”

Junior Katie Klein added a 2nd score late in the game, but it was too little too late as Miramonte held on to win 8-2.

The loss was Campolindo’s 3rd at the hands of rival Miramonte, who swept the Cougars in league play. The Cougars ended their season 20-7. “We improved a lot from last year. It’s definitely kinda sad that we didn’t make it to the finals,” said Buck.

Looking ahead, freshman Nina Munson said, “We’re losing some seniors, but we have a really strong team across all grades.”