Winter Athletes Prepare for Tryouts

Mikhail Vasilyev, Staff Writer

Wrestling, soccer, and basketball teams will all be holding tryouts the week of November 7.

WRESTLING

From now until November 7, wrestling will be holding “open” practice sessions in the small gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-5:00pm. Attendance is not required, but strongly encouraged in order to get a feel for the sport, and make new friends.

The first day of practice will be on November 7, and anyone who shows up will be declared a member of the team. “The great thing about wrestling is that it’s a no-cut sport, and you will be wrestling people of your weight class. It’s not like football where you could get demolished by a guy twice your size. Honestly, everyone should join the team; it’ll be a great experience,” said varsity coach Sam Sotelo.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL

Boys’ basketball will hold tryouts from November 7-10 in the big gym (time TBD). Preceding tryouts, there will also be open weight training sessions Monday through Thursday from 3:15-4:15. Held in the weight room, they will continue until November 7. Players are encouraged to attend in order to be prepared for tryouts.

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL

Girls’ basketball will host tryouts in the big gym on November 7 (time TBD). Currently, open gyms are being held every Thursday from 8:00-9:30pm. “In the past few years, we’ve had great success, and we’re hoping to continue it this season. We stress winning, having fun, and making new relationships, and I believe that we will have a great season,” said varsity coach Art Thoms.

BOYS’ SOCCER

Boys’ soccer is hosting conditioning clinics every Monday through Thursday on the turf field from 3:15 to 4:30pm until November 7. Tryouts for the winter season will take place November 7-9 from 6:30-9:00pm on the turf field.

GIRLS’ SOCCER

Girls’ soccer will host tryouts November 7-11 on the turf field from 5:00-6:45pm. Because of conflicts with club soccer, there will be no conditioning or practice sessions before tryouts. Students are encouraged to practice on their own.

Varsity head coach Luis Pinto believes that high school sports are more rewarding than club sports. “High school soccer creates memories that club soccer doesn’t give you. You get to represent your school with pride, defend your colors, earn bragging rights and, during this time, create memories with your friends that you have been going to school with for so many years,” said Pinto.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

Students interested in playing a winter sport are required to get their athletic clearance forms turned in before tryouts. Any pediatrician can give clearance and fill out the forms. Students can give their forms to the office or to their respective coach, and it is recommend to turn in these forms as soon as possible or risk not being able to participate at tryouts.