Sideline Cheer: A Need for Recognition

Sideline cheer performs their impressive routine at the Campolindo vs. Windsor football game.

Campo has a wide variety of sports offered to students. One of the driving factors for students to do school sports is because it counts towards a physical education credit. However, according to Campo’s athletics page, sideline cheer is not a sport. This needs to change.

While some argue that cheerleading cannot be a sport due to a lack of physical activity, this simply isn’t true. Cheerleading requires immense amounts of practice to make sure routines are not only perfect, but also safe. If one single person in a stunt group doesn’t know what’s going on, they could drop the flier, and people can be seriously hurt. “Practices are physically, emotionally, and socially exhausting…I don’t think people understand how much work we put into routines. Even just doing a dance at a rally is a lot of work,” said junior Azari Lathers, who has been a cheerleader for two years now.

Cheer isn’t just about the physical aspect; it also includes performing and creating something interesting for people. Performing takes a lot of effort. “There’s a lot of pressure to perform,” continued Lathers. “You have to put on a fun and exciting vibe, regardless of how you’re really feeling.”

In addition, sideline cheerleaders stand out at every single football game, no matter where it is. If the team makes it far enough, cheerleaders have to cheer at games in the middle of November, despite the cold temperatures. They have a new routine every couple games, as well as a new one for each rally to either fit the theme or to have something interesting and fun for the students to watch. “We work really hard…We’re on the sidelines with [the football team],” said sophomore Wen-Hui Alford. “We stunt, we get hurt, we have fun, and all of that is a sport.”

Campo has also created a new team for cheer, the Junior Varsity Competition team, which is an extension from sideline cheer. Sideline cheerleaders have the option to join the J.V. Comp team if they wish to in the winter. While it technically isn’t sideline cheer, it is a team comprising almost everyone on the sideline cheer team, as it is also no cut, just like sideline cheer. “It’s a team sport,” said sophomore Samantha Roumbanis. “You practice with [your teammates] and we compete.”

“This year specifically, we’re pushing ourselves to do more,” said senior Miles Hallam. “We’re working towards improving this year,” he continued. The hard work put in for sideline cheer isn’t receiving a sufficient reward. While sideline cheer still hasn’t been considered to be a sport, the cheerleaders this year will fight for the recognition they deserve.