Limited Campus Access Makes Carpooling Priority

Kylie Choi, Staff Writer

I have yet to meet a person who enjoys sitting in her car, stuck in traffic, and I doubt I ever will.

Every morning, student and parent drivers combat the ever-growing line of cars on Moraga Road. It’s a problem for students and staff alike.

Campolindo’s location at the far-north edge of Moraga, with only 1 access road, compounds the problem.

I wake up early but end up walking into my 1st period class late anyway.

There is a solution however: carpools.

The benefits of carpooling are endless. Carpooling would help so many people in terms of time, money, and community.

1st of all, if students carpooled with their neighbors or friends, the number of cars on Moraga Road would be significantly reduced.

Carpooling would save fuel, leaving more money in our pockets and reducing harmful emissions. According to Meeting of Minds, automobiles emit 24 pounds of carbon dioxide with every gallon of gas burned.

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, “The transportation sector generates the largest share of greenhouse gas emissions,” which is 28.9%.

Riding to school with other kids from your neighborhood would also foster a greater sense of community.

And don’t forget about the time honored tradition of biking or walking to school.  Yes, these are options!

As for the parents of underclassmen, they could reduce the number of trips they make to campus by joining with other parents in a neighborhood carpool. There are 182 days of school, so a single driver makes 364 trips to school and back.  That’s a lot of life wasted on the road transporting kids for parents who don’t participate in a carpool.

Carpooling would increase well spent time, such as time for home projects, homework, family, or leisure pursuits.

So, if it’s a trip to school or a ride home, ask a neighbor or 2 if they want to come with you. Not only will they save time and money, but will also limit the amount of air pollution.