The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Mini Club Day Pivots to Big Gym Amid Downpour

Juniors Jack Braun, Jonny Wang, and Owen Ludwig selling Pie for Peace.

On February 7, Leadership hosted its annual Mini Club Day at lunch amid a sudden rainstorm in Moraga. Rather than hosting the event from its usual spot in the quad, Leadership students pivoted by using space in the Big Gym to set up tables and posters for students to walk around during lunch.

Commissioner of Student Affairs senior Kathrynanne Terry explained, “It was definitely a shock because we were planning on doing it in the quad. However, PE was playing badminton in the gym so we had to kind of coordinate with Coach Adams and Coach Williams. So we got the tables out and had them set up at the front of the gym with only 10 minutes to spare before lunch started.” But she noted that despite the chaotic change of plans “being in the gym instead kind of worked in our favor because [the rain] forced everyone to congregate in the one place that was covered.”

For new clubs, like the Pickleball Club, being in the big gym provided a huge success. Club leader sophomore Sam Storrs said, “A lot of people showed up and we got a lot of signatures because it was so rainy out. Especially because we didn’t offer any candy, we definitely got the dedicated pickleballers.” Sophomore Lilly Schmidt, who just started the Nature Savers Club, explained that sign-ups from Mini Club Day will help her achieve her goals for an upcoming cleanup trip to “Stinson beach where we’re gonna pick up plastic and clear trash around the area.”

Compared to September’s Club Day, with 137 clubs, this year’s Mini Club Day had about 44 clubs participating. And while Mini Club day is often a space for new clubs to advertise themselves, this year veteran clubs also seized the opportunity to gain new members for the remainder of the school year and upcoming years as well.

Veteran clubs like senior Natalie Falsafi’s Surfrider Club saw a climb in numbers, especially among this year’s freshman class. As the club looks to pass the baton to the next generation for future years, Falsafi noted, “I am definitely hoping the club can continue since I have a lot of freshies who want to take over.”

Aside from sign ups for new and existing clubs, Leadership also used the event to promote initiatives such as Pies for Peace and Valentines Day Candy Grams which were fittingly situated in the front of the Big Gym. Terry explained, “there was a lot going on in one space which definitely benefited the clubs and the number of people who showed up.” While not ideal considering the rainy conditions, Mini Club Day still provided numerous clubs with sign ups while putting Leadership front and center. As they look ahead to the upcoming year, new and existing club leaders used the event to spread the message about their clubs and further integrate themselves into Campolindo culture.