Winter Spirit Week Livens Campus Before Finals

Seniors Madison Soun and Eva Canales with their blankets at brunch.

On the week of December 4th, Leadership organized a holiday-themed spirit week for Campolindo students to participate in. Monday kicked off the week with a monochrome theme, followed by a red and white candy cane theme on Tuesday, Winter Wonderland on Wednesday, Blanket Day on Thursday, and finally, ugly vs. cute sweaters on Friday. These themes allowed for students to embrace their creative side and engage in a Campolindo community bonding experience right before the stressful finals week.

Many students found unique ways to express themselves with the holiday themes. Senior Adrian Brown embraced his Detroit Lion Fandom during this week by bringing “a Detroit Lions blanket, since they’re gonna win the Super Bowl.” He also equipped himself with ski-themed gear to fit the Wednesday Winter Wonderland theme, having ski goggles and a beanie to combat the cold air. Brown noted that “Spirit Week brings [students] together during the rough time where finals are coming up.”

Brown wasn’t the only cougar who took the opportunity to unleash clothing creativity during this week. Senior Holden Anderson said he brought his “San Jose Earthquakes Blanket for Thursday and an extremely ugly Christmas sweater for Friday.” As someone who wants to make an effort to “enjoy the high school experience,” Anderson believed that this was a good opportunity to “bring everybody together with a common activity that we can all do.”

Sophomore Georgia Stankus took the week as a means to find warmth with her friends. “When it was raining, my friends and I shared a blanket, sat, and ate lunch,” she said. Finding unique ways to connect with fellow students is in essence the principle around which all Spirit Weeks revolve around.

Amidst the chaos of school and the changing seasons is an opportunity to engage in “typical high school activities that make the whole high school experience meaningful,” Anderson said.