Hispanic Heritage Month at Campo: Working with Latinos Unidos

According to a collaborative government-owned project, Hispanic Heritage Month began in 1968. The month celebrates the anniversaries of independence for multiple countries who take pride in their culture, including Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Nicaragua.

Hispanic Heritage Month typically runs from September 15 to October 15 every year, and is especially enjoyed by students and faculty. Campo’s very own Latinos Unidos, an affinity club that emphasizes Hispanic and Latinx culture, is eager to showcase their heritage and represent their cultural roots.

“Although there’s a lot of affinity clubs on campus, there is a lack of Hispanic and Latina representation,” said current Latinos Unidos president, senior Sofia Bartos. “I feel like my club is really a place for people to come and experience a sense of community.”

In honor of the month, the Latinos Unidos club has discussed Diez y Seis de Septembre and other independence days that happened in Latin American countries. They’ve also put on fun activities in the quad including musical chairs, pinatas, and playing loteria: a game of chance that is similar to bingo.

On Thursday October 5, the cafeteria served Cuban picadillo in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month as a result of an emerging project between Food Services and Campo’s diversity clubs. “I think it’s a really good idea for people to know what other people from other countries eat, so they can see that it’s a lot different but it’s good food,” voiced sophomore Latinos Unidos member Maria Castillo, who has been a part of the club since her freshman year. “I like how we have a big community of Latinos Unidos; everyone’s really nice.”

The advisor of Latinos Unidos is Leticia DelToro Gasquey, who additionally teaches Spanish 1 and Spanish 5 AP, and has advised this club since it was first founded, despite switching roles with Ms. Martinez for several years. “I have a direct identification with being Latina, and I was a Latinos Unidos advisor at my previous schools when I first started,” DelToro explained. “In college, I felt that it was a really worthwhile club to have, to be able to share culture and community with people of your own cultural heritage. So it’s a chance to show pride, to educate other people about our history and our legacy, and yeah, it’s absolutely important.”