January Campus Performances Postponed


Karina Aza

The music department is suffering because of new COVID restrictions.

As cases of the new COVID-19 variant skyrocket throughout the district, Campolindo’s music department must adjust. On January 11, choral director Mark Roberts and instrumental director Johnny Johnson shared the news that with new restrictions on audience capacity, performances held during the month of January will be postponed.

In guidance with new restrictions on capacity for indoor performances passed by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), the district made the decision to limit all indoor events to 25% capacity. All programs will be affected, including sports.

Following these new restrictions, the band and orchestra’s Chamber Concert will be postponed for later in the year, and the choir’s Pops Concert has been rescheduled for April 13 and 14. The new date for the Chamber Concert has not yet been announced.

Though this adjustment could mean bad news for concerts this academic year, some students are not too worried. “After a year in quarantine most music programs I’ve been a part of have refined their methods of music-making in a pandemic,” said senior Soumili Mukherjee. “Sure, it’ll suck a bit to have to go back to such accommodations, especially online music again, but it’s all about adapting. Music itself won’t stop, just the means to which it’s performed.”

Some students, however, are nervous about what these restrictions mean for the future of the music department at Campo. “The last time we saw restrictions like these, it was right before we ended up having to go fully virtual,” said senior Livia House. “And yeah, we made do, but the funding for the music department took a hit. I don’t know if we can keep taking hits like that.”

Additionally, others are worried that these restrictions mean bad news not just for the music department, but also for the spring musical, Cinderella, scheduled for March. “I’m kinda scared… For Titanic, they told us that we’d have they’d record it, that we’d have a limited audience, that we would just postpone it for later. And we know how that turned out,” said senior Lauren Cadotte.

Both Roberts and Johnson are cautiously optimistic about the fate of Cinderella. “I, personally, am working with a few parents to present a plan and protocols to the district, county, and state to make a case that our musical should be subject to similar testing options and restrictions as other extracurricular events. If there are students or community members who would like to help in that effort or sign on to our proposal they are welcome to contact me directly at, [email protected],” said Roberts.

“I very much doubt [the restrictions will affect the musical], but at this point, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to COVID,” said Johnson.

Whether or not instrumental or choral performances scheduled for after January will continue unaffected is uncertain. For now, the department will play it by ear.