Chalk Mural Celebrates the Earth

Mindy Luo, Staff Writer

In recognition of Earth Day, 7 student artists decorated the space outside of the library with colorful chalk murals on April 22. Interpreting the Earth Day theme in their own unique ways, the students illustrated aspects of nature, and a reimagination of the famous Vermeer painting, “Girl With a Pearl Earring.”

The activity was organized by librarian Sarah Morgan, who wanted to spread a positive message of “loving the Earth” through an eco-friendly project. The students began the murals early in the morning and worked through brunch, lunch, and spare moments between classes.

Morgan was inspired by Earth Day murals she observed in the Arcata Plaza while attending college at Humboldt State.

According to Morgan, her goal is to remind students to protect the Earth. “Whatever it is we do, whether it is eating or driving, there is a lasting effect on the Earth and so the lasting effect shouldn’t be harmful. The reason we used chalk was because in the long run, it wouldn’t be harmful and just fade away with time,” she said.

Morgan recruited students from the Dead Artists Society club to contribute.

“I was really excited when I heard Ms. Morgan asking for volunteers for this project since being able to do art in such a big open space is something we don’t get to do very often at Campo,” said sophomore Justin Xiao, a student who worked on the mural.

“I want the students passing by the library to recognize that their peers are talented because that was my 1st reaction when I saw the finished murals,” said Morgan. “I was like, ‘oh my gosh, it looks so good!'”

“Especially since we are the ‘climate-change fighting’ generation, I think it’s important to raise awareness in our own school about the environmental impact of our everyday actions. I hope people are reminded by that when they see our Earth Day mural. Everyone should be pitching in, in their own way,” said sophomore Justine Ellery, another student artist.

Morgan and the student artists were pleased with the outcome. “I’m glad it’s adding so much color to the campus and how happy it looks,” said Morgan.