De Young Exhibits Supplement Art History Course

Sebastian Fojut, Staff Writer

AP Art History (APAH) students visited the De Young Art Museum in Golden Gate Park on March 15.

“It was fun to see how the things we learned about connect to today,” said sophomore APAH student Angie Chavez.

The De Young Museum contains African and Oceana exhibits, where the class was able to view several works that they had previously studied. “I thought it was really interesting to see the paintings in person, especially since I already know about them,” said sophomore Kiley Schmidt.

The students also visited the Japanese Tea Garden adjacent to the museum. “The garden was my favorite part, hands down. It was really beautiful and peaceful,” said Chavez.

2 students from last years AP Art History class were also permitted to go along with the current students, as they missed the same opportunity when they previously took the class. “The trip did not exist last year, so I was happy to be able to go,” said senior Lauren Landry.

Many students expressed interest in future field trips that similarly connect their curriculum with the real world. “I would definitely do something like this again. Something about seeing the art outside of the classroom was so much better,” said Schmidt.

While this field trip usually occurs annually, the time of year depends on the availability of exhibits, according to APAH teacher Molly Kerr. “If [students] are considering joining, this trip is the experience of a lifetime,” she said.

The class also plans on taking another trip to the Di Rosa Museum in Napa later this spring.